Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what forum to put this in. I chose the big Lake Michigan as Greg was personally a very large Lake for the second half of his life.

I started listening (on an 8-track tape) to Emerson Lake & Palmer at the ripe age of six and they were my gateway drug to all kinds of other prog rock including Yes, Kansas, Saga, Rush and Dream Theater.

R.I.P.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Yes. His passing means 1 less giant of music. Love ELP.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the pleasure of seeing EL&Powell in 1986 at the Rosemont Horizon. 'Sure glad I went...it was awesome!

Powell's gone too. Driving drunk & without a seat belt on, he took a trip through his windshield and died. :cry: I still have yet to see Palmer, but he is coming to the Arcada in St Charles in 2017 and I might have to attend. Oddly, the way I heard of Greg Lake's passing was from an email from the Arcada's greedy concert promoter, Ron Onesti, who was cashing in on Lake's death within 24 hours, promoting his 2017 Palmer concert. :roll:

The world's greatest rock keyboardist, Keith Emerson, passed earlier this year. Must be strange for Carl Palmer to see 2/3 of his famous band vanish in 2016 and be the only one left standing.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
There's an 8 track player in my mother's garage, been in there about 35 years. Mind you, separated garage, no heat, and it may have been unplugged twice or so in its lifetime outdoors. The thing still works perfectly and I use the tuner every time I go over there to change the oil in her car. Yes, Cream and the Yardbirds are some of the old man's tracks still laying atop of the player. I actually seen YES live as a youngster (dad brought me), I remember the bass player being out of this world, and I had never seen a bass played live like that before. Scared me into playing guitar instead of bass.

:thumbup: Aux approves of all posts rocknroll and blues for that matter. But I will throw up at the sight or sound of country or edm(disco).

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
RonG said:
I had the pleasure of seeing EL&Powell in 1986 at the Rosemont Horizon.
x2.... I'm looking through my old ticket stubs a whopping $15.50 for those tickets.

I can't believe how cheap it was back then: Bruce Springsteen at Soldiers field 1985 was $18.50. Pink Floyd (x Waters) was $22.50 in 1987. Of course Minimum wage was $3.35hr back then. My brother had tickets in 1980 to see Led Zeppelin in Chicago but it wasn't a good year for them.

Funny in HS (early 80s) I was listening to Zeppelin, The Who, Stones, Floyd, Steve Miller, Edgar Winter, Deep Purple, Yes, ZZ Top, Tull, Traffic, etc... due to the correct influence of my older brothers and and my classmates liked the cool music of the day from the likes of Thompson Twins, Tears for Fears, Asia, Simple Minds and told me that I was listening to 'burnout music' and I never had a dugout and now my buddies want my vinyl collection of 'burnout music'.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
My first concert was in either 1978 or 1979 REO Speedwagon at the International Amphitheater. Still remember 5 of us in my 1970 Nova '427. Senior year.
So much pot smoke in the venue you could barely see the stage.

Springsteen Soldier field '85. Boy that was a very fun day. 30 years of seeing Springsteen every so often with same 2 friends. Weird the span of time...

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
catchafew said:
RonG said:
I had the pleasure of seeing EL&Powell in 1986 at the Rosemont Horizon.
x2.... I'm looking through my old ticket stubs a whopping $15.50 for those tickets.

Very cool! It's neat to run into people decades later that were at the same event. :thumbup: 'Looks like mine was $15.50 also. I've met and made friends in the 90s with a couple of guys who were at my first Kansas show in 1979.

catchafew said:
I can't believe how cheap it was back then: Bruce Springsteen at Soldiers field 1985 was $18.50.
Skifish1 said:
Springsteen Soldier field '85. Boy that was a very fun day.
Somehow I missed that one, but the girl I took to prom and my songwriting partner traveled down together from Marinette for that one. I have vague memories from them telling of a bus? tipping over on a car downtown on a curve and squashing a car next to it and also Bruce sliding across the stage on his knees stopping right next to Clarence C. with Clarence then bending down and planting a big kiss on Bruce's forehead. :lol: Also back in '85 we had 3 Springsteen songs in our band's set, Born to Run, Glory Days and I'm on Fire.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skifish1 said:
My first concert was in either 1978 or 1979 REO Speedwagon at the International Amphitheater.
My eldest son's first concert was also REO. He was in my wife's belly and rocking out at the Chicago Theater. :mrgreen: It was so loud, I'm sure he heard all of it. Wintertime, '90/91.

My first concert was Styx in Aug 1978 in Marshfield, WI.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Emerson , Lake, and Palmer. Wow! Where are the likes today?
catchafew said:
Zeppelin, The Who, Stones, Floyd, Steve Miller, Edgar Winter, Deep Purple, Yes, ZZ Top, Tull, Traffic, etc... due to the correct influence of my older brothers
got to add Black Sabbath, Rush, Clapton, AC/DC
Early Aerosmith and Van Halen, Santana, Crosby Stills Nash and Young and too many more to list. But no list can be complete without the Beatles!
Not many bands today can compare
catchafew said:
'burnout music'
Burnout, haven't heard that term in decades :D
My 1st concert was UFO ( no Michael Schenker) at Randhurst twin ice arena. Walking distance from home. Freezing ass in dec of 78 snow, ice , fire pits, Beer bottles busting against the brick walls waiting for ONE door to open. Smoke was so thick you couldn't see across the stadium.

Sad to see the greats leaving but they left us some of the best music ever made!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think Jim wins with UFO being his first concert. Even without Schenker that kicks a$$. My first was Foreigner/Billy Squire maybe 1981ish. Favorite was Girls School, Iron Maiden and Scorpions at Alpine in 82. Thanks for this thread. It is a great distraction during this non fishing time of year for me.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Ok I'll chime in. My first was Deep Purple in 72 at the Auditorium. Back then tickets were around $5. I was 16 and never told my parents that I was going. Came home way after I was supposed to and tried to sneak in but no dice. Punishment was for me to wash all the house windows inside and out and clean the gutters.
~JOE~

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
My early music was mainly springsteen, dylan, petty, neil young, robin trower, early aerosmith, police, CCR, marshal tucker, the outlaws, and even john prine some. I did have a period of time where I started listening to the Cult, early Cure, the Ramones, etc when I had a few years of hitting some more odd clubs in the city.

Nowadays im all over the map I listen to a lot of this poppy modern country since its easy listening and just good background music for most anything I do. Last few years besides this pop country I listen to a lot of john hiatt, bottle rockets, zevon, james mcmurtry, and bands that are kind of a blend of this bluezy-country-rock. James mcmurtry is definitely a favorite and probability best defines what type of music I listen to when out on those long solo fishing adventures in summer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My first concert was Rush with The Pat Travers Band warming up. Growing up in Antioch we used to go to almost every concert at Alpine Valley. We would ge there early, party and pick up lawn seats for $5. To get back on topic I saw Asia at Popular Creek. Last summer I saw Neil Young at Summerfest and he didn't disappoint. Petty just announced a tour stopping at Wriggly Field in June.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Sorry but got you all beat. Saw The Who & Jethro Tull at the original Kenetic Playground summer '67 or '68. Ticket was probably around $6.00...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Remember those events at Comiskey - I think they were titled the World Series of Rock. I went to one that had Pablo Cruise (meh), Steve Miller and the Eagles with Joe. With the stage changes, I remember it being almost an all day show. The best part was Steve Miller did not play any of his hits, he played a full set of blues. I purged my ticket stubs years ago after a flood but I think this was early 80's and the tickets were about $25. To borrow from PF, "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time"

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I miss-spoke, my 1st concert was KISS in 7th grade, River Trails jr High school,Our school won them in a contest by writing Marathon bar on 3"x5" cards more than any other school. The more you wrote the closer to the auditorium stage you got to sit ( i was up in the bleachers) Gene spitting blood and fire,Their spiked boots wrecked the stage floor, 10" flames you could feel all the way up in the nose bleed section ( they weren't supposed to do that!) they used the boys locker room to get ready and they signed the wall. wasn't a big fan what with the outfits and all but it was one hell of a show!! and a great way to get out of classes for the afternoon :thumbup:

Here's a link
http://www.vinylvoyageradio.com/2011/04 ... -high.html

and it was not snickers bar and no chicken :lol:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Busse Jim said:
I miss-spoke, my 1st concert was KISS in 7th grade, River Trails jr High school,Our school won them in a contest by writing Marathon bar on 3"x5" cards more than any other school. The more you wrote the closer to the auditorium stage you got to sit ( i was up in the bleachers) Gene spitting blood and fire,Their spiked boots wrecked the stage floor, 10" flames you could feel all the way up in the nose bleed section ( they weren't supposed to do that!) they used the boys locker room to get ready and they signed the wall. wasn't a big fan what with the outfits and all but it was one hell of a show!! and a great way to get out of classes for the afternoon :thumbup:

Here's a link
http://www.vinylvoyageradio.com/2011/04 ... -high.html

and it was not snickers bar and no chicken :lol:
Awesome.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts