·
Registered
5,657 Posts
OUCH! :D

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
I understand those 25 and younger not hearing of quite successful bands from 35-45 years ago. As for the rest, they have no excuse, unless that they must be 105 or older and just forgot they once knew the band and it's music.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Here's my excuse - for me rock died the night the Doobies opened in Vegas. :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
RonG said:
I understand those 25 and younger not hearing of quite successful bands from 35-45 years ago. As for the rest, they have no excuse, unless that they must be 105 or older and just forgot they once knew the band and it's music.
I purposely ignore American big hair bands. They have no redeeming qualities.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Rambler said:
Here's my excuse - for me rock died the night the Doobies opened in Vegas. :D
Saddest part is they were opening for Britney Spears.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Is that true Ron? That's just so wrong...

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 · (Edited)
R.I.P. Robby Steinhardt

Robby Steinhardt has died at age 71. Violinist, secondary lead singer, and emcee of the original Kansas. This hits me like a ton of bricks since I knew him personally, partied with him, and the band has been my favorite band for over 40 years since the age of 14. It's amazing all the originals were still alive until this weekend when you consider all the lifestyle issues so many members of these bands have in their history.

View attachment 2

He was sweet, had a huge heart, was great to converse with and had no idiot rock star ego that you might expect from a guy who's band has sold over 30 million albums. He and Steve Walsh could harmonize so well, they'd almost blend into what sounded like one voice like you hear on verse#2 of Dust in the Wind. But he was a good, gruff screamer like when he sang songs like Lightning's Hand.

I always wished to hear Metallica cover that song (if they could)

As far as partying with him, it wasn't your typical wild rock star party. I got invited a party to a private home following a concert at Star Plaza for/with Robby. It was potluck with all the home made food in their garage on long folding tables, just like my high school graduation party was in Wisconsin (typical Midwestern hometown style). I don't know if he heard me, but I played some Kansas on the piano they had in their living room. A very memorable night!

View attachment 1

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Always dug Kansas. I'm dust in the wind.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
R.I.P. Joey Jordison

Joey Jordison, Founding Slipknot Drummer, Dead at 46

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Once again showing my age...Who???

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
R.I.P. Dusty Hill

If you old farts haven't heard of ZZ Top, there's not much hope for you. Dusty Hill, bassist and one of the singers of ZZ Top for over 50 years passed away yesterday. Another classic gone.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I first heard ZZ Top on WVVX out of Highland Park sometime in the early 70s.

~JOE~

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Well, shit. Always dug ZZ Top. Long time back I was a sharp dressed man.

·
Registered
675 Posts
No hope for me ,I am the guy who does not own a tv,but has a small 80s radio in the garage,which Monday my neighbor went in my garage and shut it off,when I went in the house to get coffe,tried to tell her not a good idea,has limited english,didn't get it,I swear that Pitt may be comming soon,800 dollars of tackle stolen out of garage last year,but yes listened zz top,I least I think so.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Rock and roll will be gone in ten years think about it all of them are in their late 60 to early 70 going
To be more sad news soon i fear

221 - 240 of 266 Posts