Chicago Fishing Forum banner
241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
RIP Joey, Dusty and Mr. Popeil. My cousin had a pocket fisherman... what a piece of crap that thing was.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
joetrain said:
I first heard ZZ Top on WVVX out of Highland Park sometime in the early 70s.

~JOE~
Yes! And in glorious FM mono. Being an old metal head, I wonder whatever happened to Loftus, Kaiser?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
RIP Joey, Dusty and Mr. Popeil. My cousin had a pocket fisherman... what a piece of crap that thing was.
I had one too when I was a kid for what it was it worked great for fishing ponds

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Had a pocket fisherman my folks gave me years ago. Sold it on eBay for $30. That was the best I got out of it - never used it for fishing.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
R.I.P. Tom T. Hall

Not big on country, but I always like Tom when I was a kid.

He made millions but never invested in a guitar strap and sadly spent his later years being mistaken for Senator Lindsey Graham.

I like beer too.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Well, shit.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 · (Edited)
R.I.P. Charlie Watts

Dead at 80. The Strolling Bones will never be the same.

i never heard him play anything difficult, but he was rock solid. I love the crack of his snare and the crisp hi-hats on the late 70s recordings.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
The giants are dropping like flies. It's the end of an era.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Rambler said:
The giants are dropping like flies. It's the end of an era.
Sadly, rock is dead. Sure there are some dinosaur acts still touring, playing their oldies for ungodly sums of ticket money, but rap and hip hop surpassed rock for popularity and profits a few years ago. I didn't even realize it until a couple of years ago when Kansas's drummer pointed out to me that bands are really a thing of the past now. Everything's solo artists like Justin Timbersnakes, Lady Gagas and Taylor Swifts. What's the last band that struck it big?

There's a big demand to see the old guys and an agreement that there's not any good new music now, so I'm optimistic that things will turn around. There's a few good bands like Greta Van Fleet and the Struts that are bringing back the old sound, but they are not taking off that big.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 · (Edited)
R.I.P.ieces Fawad Andarabi

The Taliban killed a famous Afghan folk singer on Saturday, a former interior minister said. Fawad Andarabi was reportedly dragged from his village home and shot dead. The killing follows an interview with a Taliban spokesperson who said, "music is forbidden in Islam."

The music industry as evidenced by the rap and other sludge they crank out, about a decade ago also decreed "music is forbidden."

I don't think Ed sang much, but Fawad looks just like Ed Assner who also just died at the age of 91. They say things happen in threes, so I'm waiting for Rosie O'Donnell to kick soon because she also looks eerily just like those two hairier-than-normal dudes.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
R.I.P. Ron Bushy

Ron Bushy, the steadfast drummer for hard rock group Iron Butterfly who appeared on the group’s 1968, 17-minute rock opus “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida,” died Sunday at the age of 79. A cause of death was not immediately disclosed.

I haven't heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in awhile. I have and hour or two so I think I'll play it now.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Are you sure that's not Karen Carpenter?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Are you sure that's not Karen Carpenter?
Dang, I was hoping no one would notice that quickly. 'Just checking if anyone here is alive. She too is quite dead, but in 1975 was ranked best rock drummer.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Not to dis Ms Carpenter but that's a joke. Bonham was the best rock drummer of 1975 and every other year...hands down.

I should add, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, John Steel, Hal Blaine and many others rate above Ms Carpenter. Just shows what Playboy readers of the 70s knew.

Oops - shame on me. Charlie Watts of course belongs in the rock drummer pantheon.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 · (Edited)
R.I.P. Rickie Lee Reynolds

Rickie Lee Reynolds, Black Oak Arkansas Guitarist, Dies at 72

Covid-19 strikes again.

I remember thinking when Van Halen exploded onto the scene, that David Lee Roth seemed like a wanna-be of Black Oak Arkansas's lead singer Jim Dandy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I immediately remembered the first time I heard her

241 - 260 of 266 Posts