Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
There aren't really any hard and fast rules for particular colors/sizes of lures to use at Busse, or Beck, or Axehead. Axehead is the clearest of the 3 lakes you mention, with Busse probably being the most stained of the 3.

One thing to keep in mind, especially with Beck is the weeds. If on a boat, you'll want to find open areas along weedlines. If shore fishing, make sure you've got some strong line to rip it through the weeds.

But basically, no specifics for these lakes - just classic patterns and techniques.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use 8 pound test, which isnt exactly strong enough. I lost two lures yesterday at opeka.... I somehow snagged a rock with a texas rigged senko and lost it with a yank, and lost a chartreuse spinner to the reeds on the southeast side.... Ya im pathetic haha.

I use the palomar knot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I usually use the 1/2 ounce version. Very good all around size, catches both small and big bass. My favorite colors are, Red or orange craw, chrome/blue, chrome/black, sexy shad, or other shad like patterns.

Favorite way to fish is to yo yo, or contact weeds, and rip it out (use braid for this). Burning also works. Yo Yo, seems to get me more feesh!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Red in spring and fall green'ish in summer
Get some Cotton Cordels just a bit
Different rattle from the rat-l-trap :wink:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I always go with 1/4 oz in the shallow water around here. I actually weighed a few brands recently, to determine their subtle differences. Might as well share the results. All 1/4 traps by different brands are different weights. Lightest is the Cordell Cotton Super Sport. Next is the original Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap. And the heaviest of the "1/4 oz" traps is the Rapala Rattlin' Rap. The 1/4 oz Super Sport is also the bulkiest, which makes it my favorite for shallow, low visibility water. Running them just over the top of the weeds with a pulsing action is great. Bigger ones (1/2 oz) I save for deep lakes like Geneva. Color does not really matter to me. Its more about the rattle.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
crm7290 said:
I use 8 pound test, which isnt exactly strong enough. I lost two lures yesterday at opeka.... I somehow snagged a rock with a texas rigged senko and lost it with a yank, and lost a chartreuse spinner to the reeds on the southeast side.... Ya im pathetic haha.

I use the palomar knot.
Could be your line and brand of line. I re-spool almost every couple half-full day outings.

or your line could be frayed or just old. did it break at the knot or something? (Just curiouse because you mentioned the Palomar) Maybe your not tying it right.

Just trying to help ya out. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use 40 lb braid, for my 1/2 traps ( I throw about 4 different brands). I need the braid to help me rip my traps out of weeds and or timber that i'm fishing. With color, well I've narrowed my choices down to about 50. Sunny days in clear water use natural colors. Cloudy days in clear water use something with flash. Muddy water use reds and chartreuses. Just try to match the hatch at the lake. Look at the size of the bluegills, perch, shad, crappie, and or minnows and mimic it, and you should get bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.