Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 2 more fish over 4lbs in last week :( Action for the big fish hasn't been as good from shore lately. A few 3.7's & 3.8's have made it bearable. The numbers haven't been as good either with maybe half the catch rate than before it started getting hammered. Couple of times out with only 1 or 2 fish in 4-5 hours isn't what I wanna get used to. I'm gonna start hitting spots I haven't tried in a few years at some of the northern harbors :) they just aren't as easy to get to. I would think the southern harbors would turn on earlier with warmer water temps so they are probably further along and maybe even done with the best still yet to come up north maybe.

Water has been pretty murky lately, no more than 2-3ft visibility. Most fish have still been on 5 inch plastics, green pumpkin isn't a bad color to start with. Minnows work well :wink: I got one a spinner-bait the other day too. Crankbait bite hasn't picked up to what it has been in past years, not sure really wth is going on there as it should be going strong by now. Past few years by this time only way we caught them was with baits moving and very few bottom pick ups right before they hit the beds. Not the case at all this year. Basically the only pattern has been there is no pattern, one day a bait works the next it's something not even close in profile or color, weirdness.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started hitting the lakefront in Feb this year. I am getting the same numbers now as I was getting in march when water was cold 36-40 degrees. Had a really good april, normally those kind of numbers are what we get right about now in early-mid may. Pretty much the last week/week and a half the bite has gone weird on me. I'm stuck walking so I only hit a few miles at a time. Nice thing about a boat is you can spot hop all over the lake in the same amount of time :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.