Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
959 Posts
I was in Corens rod/reel on Nina last week & noticed they had a sign on the counter regarding reel maintenance & repairs rates and other details. Outside of that, I'd check with fishtech in Morton grove or Anglers international in Palatine. I know both were at one time drop-off points on Dave's reel service's route.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in Corens rod/reel on Nina last week & noticed they had a sign on the counter regarding reel maintenance & repairs rates and other details. Outside of that, I'd check with fishtech in Morton grove or Anglers international in Palatine. I know both were at one time drop-off points on Dave's reel service's route.
Thanks so much!

· Registered
934 Posts
I'd say just do it yourself, it's really not that bad. I do mine but it takes time, about 2hrs per reel. I can get a casting reel fully broken down in 20mins but the biggest pain is hand washing each part with dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. Note the order in which you take the reel apart. Use the schematic. Maybe look at a Youtube video. I wonder what people charge now a days. I talked with a guy who cleans reels at the fishing show in Schaumburg a couple years ago, Slayer Reel Tuning. I want to say he charged $25 per reel and it took him a similar amount of time as it takes me. Not very profitable at an hourly rate.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say just do it yourself, it's really not that bad. I do mine but it takes time, about 2hrs per reel. I can get a casting reel fully broken down in 20mins but the biggest pain is hand washing each part with dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. Note the order in which you take the reel apart. Use the schematic. Maybe look at a Youtube video. I wonder what people charge now a days. I talked with a guy who cleans reels at the fishing show in Schaumburg a couple years ago, Slayer Reel Tuning. I want to say he charged $25 per reel and it took him a similar amount of time as it takes me. Not very profitable at an hourly rate.
There are excellent teardown/service videos for both SLX and Curado on youtube.
Thanks so much!

· Registered
362 Posts
Sound like the perfect scene for one of those ultrasonic cleaners. One more desire for something I really have no need for.

· Registered
934 Posts
Sound like the perfect scene for one of those ultrasonic cleaners. One more desire for something I really have no need for.
Ha true. I've done four reels so far this year and I think I could use one to speed things up. A quick google search shows they're mostly pricey, the usual Amazon junk ones for $40ish. The guy who I spoke with about cleaning reels didn't really mind, he enjoyed doing it, nice guy too. I've got his card somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts