Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some of the older posts... just wondered why a lot of you use Baitcasting or Spinning reels? Just a personal preference, or performance or?

I haven't used either type extensively, so not sure if it would be worth the investment for one (especially a Baitcaster). I did just purchase a small Spinning reel for one of my ULs, so not sure about it's performance yet.

Probably will get some flak over this, but my Spin Cast reels have served me very well over the years, and are easy to maintain and operate, and I like them a lot.

Ok, next thing:

What type and lb test line are you guys running for most bass fishing? I've seen/heard of everything from 6-8lb, upwards of 20-30lb test. And what dictates a braided over a mono over a poly or.......? My head hurts from all the choices I've been looking at! lol

Sorry for the long winded post. I appreciate any info though.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
50 Posts
Based on my limited experience, I just prefer using a baitcaster with some heavier types of lures (crankbaits, spinners) and my spinning reels for lighter tackle and soft plastic baits. So, basically, finesse fishing with the spinning rods and cranking and jerking with the baitcaster.

Also, the baitcaster can toss a lure a lot farther with less effort than the spinning rod will - so if I am shore fishing and want to hit some deep water, that's what I use.

That's not always the case, but that's the way I'd like to do it. I've used all kinds of tackle on both types of rods, and sometimes I only have one rod with me so I just make due. And, in addition to the reel types it's also a factor of the size of the rods - the baitcaster is a much heavier rod than either of my spinning rods.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I, as many others on this site, use both. I use baitcasting for larger lures, usually with 10 or 12 lb test line. I use spinning for lighter lures and more finesse fishing with 6 or 8 lb test line. I have been using braided line more and more and currently use 30lb braid (8lb mono diameter) on baitcasters and 10 or 15 lb braid (2 or 4lb mono diameter) on my spinning reels.

As a side note, many people confuse spinning reels with spincasting reels. They are not the same. This is an example of a spincasting reel.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_100-1-3

·
Registered
339 Posts
For my baitcasts my two favorite rods are a 6'6 medium heavy which I think is an all around great rod for Illinois bass fishing, and a 6'0 M action. The 6'0 medium is a little light for some crank baits, but it's a great length for casting along shorelines obstructed with trees or bushes. The medium action rod is also great for the smaller bass found in the Chicagoland area.

I use Stren original 10lbs test on my baitcasters.

·
Registered
401 Posts
they've pretty much hit the nail on the head. I typically use the baitcasters for heavier lures like spinner baits, buzzbaits, cranks, heavy jigs and for pitching into cover and under docks. I run 10-12lb test cajun redline, or 6-10lb berkley vanish on all my reels as I've had a lot of good experiences with them and they seem to run very smooth for me. The spinning reels are what I typically use for finesse types of lures, including soft plastics, swimming soft/hard combinations, etc. I prefer the accuracy of my baitcaster when using the heavier lures, and as it was said, can toss it way out into deeper water a lot more consistently with my baitcaster. The different lines... I believe I made a gigantic post on this for where you use them and for what reasons, here's a link to it:

http://www.windycityfishing.com/forums/ ... highlight=

just go there and you can read all about the different lines and their uses.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
That pretty much explaines it. The best all around combo in my opinion is is a 7' MH with 14#. Some of these new baitcaster out on the market are amzaing in the ablity to cast light baits I just picked up the new Cruado from Shamino and could cast a mile with a 5 inch yum dinger texas rig on 14# test. I mainly use baitcasters 99% of the time for Bass fishing in lakes & Ponds but in the river it's hard to beat a 6'6" med with 6#test

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
if you get a baitcaster, spend the extra money to get yourself a quality reel. there is a BIG difference in performance.

you can try my baitcasting rig if you want to come to one of our outings at deep lake. that way you can try it out before you spend the cash on something you may not like.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i agree with augy, you can definately spend the money and get a good one, although if you know you just wanna try it and may not like it and never use it again i would suggest something cheaper to start out with. Don't want to invest $200 in a nice reel/rod combo only to have it sit in the garage or house and collect dust. you can get 2 nice spin combos for that amount... walmart or bass proshops has some nice $30-50 reels that you can stick on a casting rod and see if you like them to start. then if you do like it, you use that one temporarily and then spend the big bucks on a nicer setup down the road... or you can do as augy said and make the trip to one of the lakes with the guys from here on WCF and test out one of our setups. god i never realized how many of these conversations we actually have about baitcasters... there has to be one a week :D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info guys, really appreciated. Toothdoc, I did mean a spinning reel for my UL... I edited original post to reflect that. And yes, I do mean the Spin Cast (closed face) type reels I really like.

My favorite older reel is a Diawa RS 100RL on a Berkley 5' 6" Med. action Power Pole. My new favorite reel is a Diawa Turbo 80-3Bi on a Diawa Turbo 5' 6" ML rod. I have been using 8-10lb line. So, guess I have to upgrade a couple things to do some bigger bass fishing... :oops:

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey anytime man, you got questions just vent em out on this forum and I guarantee someone will be able to give you a logical, intelligent answer. We got a log of guys that know a lot about fishing and all we do is exchange information on this site constantly. Chances are you'll find someone who will know exactly what you need to know. Also, I would recommend getting out to one of the WCF tournaments or outings and do a little fishing with some of the guys. They'll turn you onto some really nice lakes and some nice fishing, and chances are when you're out you'll meet some good friends and gain some knowledge about many different local lakes. Also regarding the spin casting reels... my dad swears by them when he's out on the water. He uses plenty of spinning and baitcasting reels, but the go-to setup is typically his spincasting rigged with a spinner bait. I've used quite a few of the old old zebco's, like... 15 years old and I've handed them down to my daughter and other younger relatives to use as they were just sitting around collecting dust. These things still cast with the best of them and I've seen little to no problems with them ever. Anyways glad to help, take it easy, and tight lines!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lip Yanker, if it works for you stick with it! I saw a guy fishing a plastic worm with a zebco the other night and he caught the biggest bass I've seen from this pond.

I do think fishing with a baitcaster is the most productive, fastest and easiest way to fish once you get a hang of how they work. $200.00 seems a bit steep for a "good" baitcaster/reel set up. You can get something for $75-100 that will do the trick. I have reels that I paid $100-150 for 10 years ago that are tougher to work with than some of these newer reels in the $50-75 range.

·
Registered
401 Posts
$200 is about the middle of the road for a "good" setup :) They sell baitcaster reels that go for $600 or $700, and that's just the reel. I've also seen spinning reels in the $300-400 price range as well, but god knows I can't afford spending that kinda dough on a reel...

·
Registered
339 Posts
pezdek1 said:
$200 is about the middle of the road for a "good" setup :) They sell baitcaster reels that go for $600 or $700, and that's just the reel. I've also seen spinning reels in the $300-400 price range as well, but god knows I can't afford spending that kinda dough on a reel...
Ahh I dunno about that... I think our definitions of "good" are different :wink:.
This is the first baitcaster reel I bought for $30.00 new about 15 years ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ABU-GARCIA-AMBASSAD ... dZViewItem
Now that is what I would consider a cheap baitcaster that a beginner would have trouble on. I got my Quantum KVD for $75 bucks new last month, which would be a low end of the road reel on your scale, but I think it would be more than enough reel for a beginner. It's more than enough for me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
$75 is definately more than adequate for a beginner to baitcasters to use. I use typically between $75-$200 reels... the cheapest spinning reel i own is a $40 shimano sidestab. the cheapest baitcaster I own is a $75 abu garcia ambassadeur 2005 low profile, and that is more than adequate for me as well. I also have a shimano curado 200d baitcaster (i think it's 200d) that ran me around $200 for the reel, that I is my main reel on my spinner baits/buzz baits, cranks, etc. for jigs i use the abu garcia as it has the pitching/flipping switch on it. The $200 is probably the most I will realistically spend on a reel, because the rod is gonna run another $50 or better, depending on what you're looking for, g-loomis rods will run in the $150-$200 range, but I refuse to buy something that I can ruin by slamming in my trunk or car door or someone stepping on it...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool guys... I ran to Gander Mountain at lunch, and found a Diawa Procaster SE that I really liked how it felt and worked. The guy I talked to said he's used them and they are reliable (sales pitch?) Dunno... Price was $78.00. Looked at a couple Abu's and Pflugers too, they were $99 each.

Anyway, figured I would shop around a bit and compare a few others, just in case. I got back to work and was surfing Cabela's site, and found the Diawa Procaster in their Bargain Cove for $49.99 (reg. $79.99), plus $8 shipping. So for $58.00 I have one on the way!

Debating on whether to get a longer rod now. I'm going to start out with 10lb Vanish Transition on the reel.

·
Registered
401 Posts
vanish transition is an excellent line and for rod choice i would go with 6 1/2 foot or 7 foot medium or medium heavy action :) congrats on the purchase and good luck, may the rod and reel bring you nothing but luck on the water :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use bait casters almost exclusively for fishing artificials. About the only thing I don't use a bait cast set-up for is crappie fishing, but if it's bass, pike or muskie, it's one of my eight different reels coupled with anything from a 5'6" pistol gripped light action rod to a 7'6" flippin' stick. :wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Couldn`t agree with u more papajoe :D

About the vanish transition.any line that changes color underwater probably freaks the fish out too much lol
and if its anything like regular vanish it sux lol

just my 2cents lol but then again what do I know lol

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There seems to be no middle road when it comes to Vanish line. I hear people say they either love it or hate it. Since my spool was a gift, I'll try it and see how it works out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.