Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cruised over to a rentention pond today for the last hour of daylight to try my hand at some gills. The weapon of choice was a small ice jig tipped with 2 waxies under tiny slip float on 4lb. Fireline. The action was slow and I had only 3 within the first half hour or so. I then had a fish hit, peel of about 20 feet of drag, only to come up with a pile of weeds. I lost another nice one before finally connecting with a decent bass.

When the bobber went down this time and the line started peeling I knew I was in trouble. Luckily the cat only had 2 good runs in it before I beached it. Definitly in the my Top 5 for biggest channel cat caught. I had a hard time trying to get the whole thing in the camera frame taking the picture with the self timer. She was released to fight another day.

After some early skunkings last year I started fishing the early open water season like I was ice fishing. Just a simple set up with light line, a tiny ice jig, and a waxie or fathead under a slip float. It really upped the odds for a variety of fish. Once the water warms a few more degrees I change to a mini-mite tipped with the same baits and get similar results. Give it a try at some of the ponds you fish during the Spring and Summer, and you may be suprised at whats biting :wink:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Awesome job Matt! In spring I always make the mistake of using all the lures I buy over the winter. They are always nice lures but never right for the cold spring water. Next time I'm out I'm going to give your tactics a try: thanks for the tips.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. George, I actually think the weekends off will hurt my fishing a little bit. I probably will stay away from Geneva and Delavan in the Summer because of all the traffic. I will adapt and fish some different areas though. Once the days get longer I am going to try to take short evening trips locally. Like I have heard you say many times.....it is all about adapting.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
spiroh said:
Augy said:
amazing what these retention ponds can hold. thanks for the tips matt.
I wish I knew of some in my area. Is there a map by any chance that shows where these retention ponds are scattered? I live in Skokie btw.
spiroh, best bet is to search on http://maps.google.com

zoom in on your area and use the "satellite" or "hybrid" map feature to locate the small ponds. remember that many of these ponds are private.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Augy is right. Google Maps or Google Earth are both great tools to find ponds. I had tons within a 2 mile radius of my house that I did not know about. Some are good, some ok, and some are just stinky carp factories. I still have plenty left to be discovered. Some ended up being private. Some are not posted but have homes around them. I have found that by being courteous and picking up after myself and others, that most people do not mind you there. You just have to research and then scout them out. I bet you will find a few new spots.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was back out today and just managed 3 small gills in about an hour and a half. The wind direction had changed from last time and the fish just were not there today. Oh well, theres always tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.