Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Premier yesterday and used it for about an hour. I've got 10lb Pline on it and have it rigged up on my 6'9 MH parabolic Carrot Stix.

I've tried the Revo SX which has the 11 ball bearings opposed to the Premier's 6 and my initial concern with the Premier was that Abu had cut some corners by making it lighter by removing some bearings. However, Abu Garcia claims they have used higher quality bearings in the Premier and they must be right because this reel is really smooth, as smooth if not smoother than the SX. What impressed me most was the braking system. I was throwing rattle traps a mile into the wind with the brake set really low. On my Quantum Energy I had to have the brake set much higher or else I'd backlash, which in turn obviously wouldn't allow me to cast as far. On top of that my accuracy was much higher when casting the Revo on the same rod that the Quantum had been set up on. The Revo Premier and STX both have a different breaking and spooling system than the other Revos. Supposedly, the Premier and STX have a spool that disconnect from the drive shaft during a cast which makes for easier casting.

This combo is insanely light. After an hour on the water with it I decided to put the Quantum up for sale and get either another Premier or a STX. The only reels I have that work from the 90s are old Abu Garcia Ambassadors. Hopefully these will have the same life span.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Culprit said:
Welcome to the quantum bashers club Bill! :lol:
It's weird man. You really have to have owned one and realized what the hell you were missing out on when you tried something else. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.