Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha was it safe to fish back in the day? what fish were in there? I heard catfish and bluegills. Today if u went fishing u would get pushd in there, i dont know who would wanna fish there today.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the only fish in there are bluegill and panfish. I dont think catfish live there..LOL That water is so polluted and dirty. And yeah gangbangers control that pond. I know i go to steinmetz like one block away. And yeah tough pond..nothing but gills and ducks!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I fished those 2 ponds in Riis Park since i was 5 yrs old and loved catching the goldfish on pillsbury dough lol.

There were bluegill,carp,bullheads & ofcourse my favorite species at that time goldfish :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, I used to fish there too back in the mid 80's - Pulled a bullhead out of there once that must have went 2 pounds. There were always gangs but they tended to 'control' other points - like the fieldhouse.

Had the scare of my life on the Narragansent bus once when Steinmetz let out. Some guy pulled a 38 out of his pocket and had it pointing at me. Got off that bus in a hurry.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but gaylords bak in the day helped the community not like the gangs today. if i went to fish riis park i would probably take like 5 ppl wit me, i dunno even know y i would. maybe because its super close.

·
Registered
972 Posts
That pond was where my brother and I spent most of our time fishing. We used to live in Galewood and that was the closest place for us to catch fish. We did have a couple of bikes stolen from there but kept going back because of the fishing. Like Culprit said, goldfish on dough was so much fun. One year they even stocked it with channel cat, but they were all caught within a week. That was a great little pond at the time and we had alot of good memories there . Gaylords! LOL! Remember them well, lived acsroos the street from Sayer Park.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rich L said:
That pond was where my brother and I spent most of our time fishing. We used to live in Galewood and that was the closest place for us to catch fish. We did have a couple of bikes stolen from there but kept going back because of the fishing. Like Culprit said, goldfish on dough was so much fun. One year they even stocked it with channel cat, but they were all caught within a week. That was a great little pond at the time and we had alot of good memories there . Gaylords! LOL! Remember them well, lived acsroos the street from Sayer Park.
SAYRE BOYS! Sorry, I went to Holy Cross and we were full of them.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Don`t waste ur time there , so many other places to try that actually have fish lol

I remember there was an archery range there also.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats cool as hell man archery range...today u just have soccer. when my dad dont take me fishing the only spots i fish are near devry university chicago river and schiller pond but never took the bus to either yet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you really want an adventure fishing, try Humbolt Park or Garfield Park Lagoons. You may pull up a body or two. Look out for the Imperial Gangsters, Latin Deciples, Vice Lords and Latin Kings. I also rember the Kilborn Park Gaylords.

I grew up in Logan Square, my house had seven bullet holes in it. What's funny is my Old Man still lives there.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeahh my dad (Vince Gruca) just finally put his house on the market hes been livin on central park for about 40 years. It's kind of getting nicer in the area though many yuppies moving in. I heard from ppl that normally fish the chicago river, that the humboldt park lagooon is a good place to catch fish.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.