Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8/13/08

I got the chance to meet up with a few lads of mine and we made an attempt to do some walleye stalking yesterday evening. I got into the water at 645 and by 7 we were all there and we stayed until 930.

Lots of people out there this evening, either wading or fishing off shore. Those with live-bait fished in any method were catching quite a few Crappies and Channel Cats. Some of the cats appeared to be of decent size.

With the four of us included, I was able to count 12 anglers, all waders, and that's a lot of people for one specific fishing area. Because of that, the four of us were regulated to working a small stretch of water.

We were casting an assortment of Rapala minnowbaits and jig & plastic combos. Out of our wade party, I was the only one who hooked up with anything, a Walleye that was in the neighborhood of 17-19 inches on a jig/GULP leech. It was a pretty cool first-ever fish from the DesPlaines. I was relieved.

For much of the outing, the fishing was very slow. Everyone around us was hooking up and catching while we were just casting. The place is definitely a spot for live-bait if you want to catch numbers of really any species.

Other than that, not much catching tonight, but I had a good time and we'll be doing a few more trips soon, I'm sure..... Definitely in October when the fish start moving and feeding.

More Walleye stalking coming late tonight.. Either again at the DPR, or at my "hard-to-access" creek spots.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Dang...that area is packing 'em in for such a small area to fish. On a side note, that kind of pressure really reflects on the outing at hand. Glad to see that you had a willing response. As the season progresses....fish later. That is really a shocker for midweek, middle of august. Kind of depressing to see so many out there during the week. I remember the days when........

Just goes to show you that fish do get smarter when it comes to survival.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks y'all.

JB said:
Dang...that area is packing 'em in for such a small area to fish. On a side note, that kind of pressure really reflects on the outing at hand. Glad to see that you had a willing response. As the season progresses....fish later. That is really a shocker for midweek, middle of august.
Yeah, tell me about it!

Last November I made a few mid-week wades out there on weekdays in between classes and I was always the only one out there! Some weekends too! And I got skunked on all of them.

Might try out there again tomorrow evening or on Sunday with a buddy.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fopoil said:
you would be surprised by the nice walleyes that come out of the desplaines do a little searching on other sites and you will find some nice pictures
Pictures from this guy! BEAUTS!

Anyways, I went back out this evening and could only handle a quick hour. Were a few guys working off shore launching out their sticks of 500lb mono with rockets of lead, letting it sit 100yds out from shore. These guys were in the spots I specifically went to the river for this evening which had the holes and current. That killed my expectations and I lost patience quickly.

Coincidentally, I was the only wader out there and got the skunkaroo.

Maybe I'll try again on Sunday evening/night with a friend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.