Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Rock River

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  eedwards74 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever fished the Rock? I hear there is huge Flatheads in there and plan on heading over there next year. Anyone know a hot spot or tips for big Flats? Or a closer place?

#2 ·
Funny you mention this, Will. I too, have been wanting to work the Rock River but simply didn't make it out there this year.

What i'd really like to do is find a good campground near the Rock and spend a weekend fishing it next year.

I also ask if anyone has any good info and especially on a decent campground.

#6 ·
I've been reading nothing but good things about the Rock River, so I decided to go this upcoming weekend. I'll post a report.

#8 ·
We got to the rock early - about 3:30 am- on the east side of Oregon Dam. No bites early. Around 5:15 we started getting some hits. Caught a bullhead and 16" channel. We managed to catch a couple of smallmouth and one largemouth on nightcrawlers, but they were nothing to write home about. We started really getting some hits on stinkbait around 6:30 - real good sized channels. My cousin managed to catch a few carp, a couple of throw backs and big sucker, on corn. Fun time but it was way too hot. If you like fighting carp, stay just above the dam in the shade and use corn. Almost impossible not to catch a few. No luck on flatheads, walleye or sauger.

#9 ·
JasonN said:
Funny you mention this, Will. I too, have been wanting to work the Rock River but simply didn't make it out there this year.

What i'd really like to do is find a good campground near the Rock and spend a weekend fishing it next year.

I also ask if anyone has any good info and especially on a decent campground.
I see this a old post but do a google search for lundeen's landing campground great place to camp and fish.
I camp at Sunset Lakes Resort in joslin,il even thou it says east moline.
Great place but it is a members campground well worth checking out thou they will give you the sales pitch.
I like it because the rock runs thru it and has nice ponds in the camp ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.