Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're all familiar with the adage, 'you get what you pay for', but we also know there are products out there that are overpriced for what you're actually getting. Fishing tackle is like any other commodity, there are 'bargains' that aren't even worth the time it takes to carry them out to your car, and there are products that cost so much they should make the fish jump into your boat. Rods and reels are two of the most expensive components of fishing tackle and are therefore the most scrutinized purchases we make. Selecting a good rod can be a bewildering experience for someone who wants the most for their money. We ask questions like "What makes this rod so expensive?" and "Is this $300 rod really twice as good as this $150 rod?" With the unbelievable array of good rods available to serious anglers today it's easy to find a great rod that is perfect for what you want to do with it. However, at the same time, you could end up with something that might not be right and you'd be spending some good money for something that you won't use. I believe the most expensive rod you own is the one you never use. Even if it was cheap it was a waste of your money if it stays at home leaning in a corner. Conversely, you may have a rod that cost a lot of money but if you use it every time you go fishing and you love it then it was money well spent.

The return you get for the money you spend on your rods will vary with how often you fish, how serious you are, if you fish tournaments, and other factors. In general, the more your rod costs the more sensitive it will be, the more responsive it will be, and the more accuracy you will be able to achieve. A quote from Gary Loomis, the developer of arguably the best rods being built today, puts some light on the subject, "I can build a rod you can't break, but you wouldn't want to fish with it". There are rods out there that claim they won't break but you won't see any of them on the decks of serious bass anglers or in the hands of any tour pros because they demand rods that are light, sensitive, and powerful. Sure those rods cost more, but for those they're worth every penny.

A good rod may not instantly make you a better angler but a poor rod will be a limiting factor for any angler. Your rod is a tool, and a good craftsman will always do better work with a good tool. A good rod will allow you to feel much more of what's going on with your lure. For instance, you'll be able to tell if you're dragging your jig through mud, sand, rock, sticks, etc., and more importantly, when you get bit, which can often be hard to detect.

Part of being a good angler is the ability to place your lure exactly where you want it, often as quietly as possible, and a good rod will definitely help your casting ability with more responsive graphite and perfectly engineered actions. The ability to create actions for specific techniques only comes with rod building expertise and the ability to use the best materials, which adds considerably to the expense. As a general rule then, a good rod will help and a poor rod will hurt your fishing ability.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I think I can attest to that, at least last season. Many nice fish lost using ugly sticks. I bought some St. Croix's towards the end of the season so looking forward to getting out there with them and testing them out. Hopefully this will up my landing percentages.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
This is so true. Once I started upgrading my rods to better ones it was amazing what you can feel. The downside of the graphite rods though is the fact that they are more fragile than a fiberglass one. I will gladly take that trade-off.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i don't need no stinkin rod!! just need a empty coke can, some line and a hook and we're in business. :mrgreen:

seriously, i'm sure there is a reason why some cost more than others. i'm not quite ready however to jump in the loomis and grandt rod bandwagon just yet. gotta a kid to feed, and cloth, and pay for an education. oh forget it, i'll never be able to afford a $300 rod. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I just got a new St. Croix jigging rod for Christmas and I love it! The feeling of a fish hitting the lure is so much better than my old jiggin rod (BPS Brand). This summer I plan on spending hours jigging whether I'm in Canada or Door County; and having a nice rod makes it so much better.

Doc brings up a good point about graphite being more fragile than a fiberglass. However, usually the more expensive rods come with a warranty. MY St. Croix cost $150, but it came with a lifetime warranty! It is a purchase that can last a lifetime (just like all of my high end craftsman hand tools)

When you think about it Augy brings up a good point. I believe the lure and presentation are #1 over rod and reel. However if you fish all the time, you might as well take the advantage and use a better rod: It's more enjoyable! :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I personally have never owned a Loomis have used them BUt I am a $40 rod kinna guy. And I have to say i catch my share of fish

·
Registered
341 Posts
"For instance, you'll be able to tell if you're dragging your jig through mud, sand, rock, sticks, etc."

Curious if any of you have gotten to this level of feel yet... I can sort of feel rocks cause it feels like a little nibble at the rod tip, but can't imagine how anyone is able to sense the difference between sand, sticks, and mud...

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I agree Frank, but what you can feel with an expensive rod is the difference between feeling a light bite that other's with a cheaper rod may have thought was only bumping a rock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since you guys are talking about rods. I have 3 brand new G Loomis rods that I want to sell. Models SJR722 Med. 6-12lb., SJR721 Light 6-10lb. and SJR720 Mag Light. 4-8lb. All GL2 for $100 each. Retail price for each is $130. I'll be posting this rods on Trading Post forum. Let me know if any of you are interested.

·
Registered
72 Posts
toothdoc, yes sir! all 6ft. spinning rod.

Jason, Are you going to charge me for this ad. ? Tell you what, If this rods gets sold thru this web site. I'll have you pick a couple of lures from my tacle box.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Spawn said:
toothdoc, yes sir! all 6ft. spinning rod.

Jason, Are you going to charge me for this ad. ? Tell you what, If this rods gets sold thru this web site. I'll have you pick a couple of lures from my tacle box.
not to worry spawn. the "Trading Post" was created for something exactly like this.

but i'll come by and pick out a couple lures out of your tackle box if it makes you feel any better. :wink: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts