Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and creighton decided to hit up a pond that we know holds some monster bass in it. Since it rained the night before we knew that things would be poppin. Whenwhere it rains the inlets there flow with water pretty good and the bass stack up near them and feed on stuff that comes out. We arrive around 230 and we see quite a few boils already. Fishkid gets a quick 14 inch bass.

About 30 minutes later he decided to switch things up to a swimbait, something he says hes never used before.. due to the lack of frog bites, 10 or so casts later he gets big wack and fish on. It smacked it like a 5 pounder would but it ended up being a 2.5 pounder.

Fishkid keeps working the swimbait and about 2000 casts later wham!!! He battles this fish and i quickly run across the pond to snap the picture. He says its about 4 and a half pounds but i saw it is about 5. Looks likes a prespawner as well but i really dont know.

ANd as for me well i missed 2 blow ups but nothing to big. Probably dinks.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Fish Creighton, Man, that pond looks familiar ;) You have been the hawg king, especially on Opeka! :D

Rootpro, you just gotta step it up a notch man, don't be throwing the same baits as your friend and work in front or in back of him, you will get them next time dude!

·
Registered
66 Posts
fishkid said:
thanks dudes! is it just me or is that bass still in prespawn mode! :shock:
I understand that bass dont all spawn at the same time, but that is NOT a pre spawn fish. Im thinking that that female dropped egg a while ago, moved off, and is now in Post Spawn eating mode. Once again, awesome fish, and keep catching em.

"Normally after spawning occurs there will be a period of up to a week of inactivity followed by a period of "binge" feeding that may last a couple of weeks. A fish that has spawned 4 weeks previously will display different feeding and behavior patterns than a fish which has recently spawned."

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Gotta love expert opinions.... NOT all females even spawn! Some lose their eggs and get them back, ever seen that happen? Some females DON'T spawn until the second full moon of the late spring. Just because the water is less than 60' or over 68' doesn't mean they have or haven't spawned yet. Sorry James, that's an ignorant comment. Don't mean to demean you, but this is my opinion on it. Great job Creighton, you DA MAN!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
According to reports on the fish cam thingy some bass spawn all year. They just do it deeper after spring. They have vids of bass on deep nests in august. I seem to remember a report from a guy who runs ponds to make stocked bass. He said he had a prize male that could make like 6 succesful nest a year.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I was at bass lake and there was a huge ball of bass fry. A few bass where patrolling near it so I assume their fry combined? I also noticed how its convenient that the blugill go on beds just as the fry are growing up :) Most of the attacks ive seen on the fryballs come from the dink bass.
You tell if its prespawn by squeezing it into your mouth :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.