Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive been to the fox river off of I90 and rt.31 I think its either elgin or dundee there. Has anyone fished there. Ive taken my boat there a few times and have caught a bunch of drum A few that looked like strippers but i think they might have been hybrids correct me if im wrong. Well the reason i go there is because its been the only place on the fox ive been to with any sucess and wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas of that area. thanks

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I know there are skies there around that area. There are no hybrids or strpiers in the fox river. There are whitebass and drum which are also called sheephead or silverbass. Were there stripes on the fish or just silver and the head looks like a sheephead?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There were actual black stripes on the fish thats why i was confused too. But needless to say it was fun we must have hit a school of the sheephead/drum bc everytime i got one off the hook there was another on. Im really hopeing that theres some cats in the water i want to get up there again soon i think im going to throw either worms or large minnows and hope for the best. Any thoughts of what might work or any tips.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That whole section down to the elgin dam is good, especially by boat. There are some deep areas and a discharge (only boat accessible). Shore access is limited in the better areas, so I hear. Occasional Moosky, pike,eyes, smb, lmb, cats (Channel and Flatheads), crops, white bass and carp o' plenty. If you need a partner I would be more than willing to go with ya. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you get off at rt 31 north and take ur first street and make a right and follow it around the frontage road youll run right into voyageurs landing and theres two boat launches there. If your headed west on I90 you can see the launch from the highway

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
The channel cats can definately be had on chicken livers. That is my favorite go to when fishing for channel cats. It's a bit messy but worth the trouble. As far as the flatheads are concerned ya might want to drift a small bluegill in and around log jams and similar anchored structure. I've also heard about the carp in that area. Drift hard shell crayfish for the carp in slack water areas and bays.

JB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not that i have ever cought much fish there but there is a fairly deep hole just down river of the bridge. Right off the shore of the old people community across from the end of the island. Late this last fall i floated up and down that hole with the fishfinder going and marked tons of fish. With my luck the way it is i did not catch anything but i definitely found them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.