Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a pond in Streamwood off of Rt. 59 that my uncle stocked with muskie, np, and smb he caught from various Wisconsin lakes about 10 years ago. Originally the pond was pretty good for lmb, bg, and cats. The sm were even breeding as we caught several little guys. The pond is about a half acre at most.

This place was a fishing goldmine! Went back today for the first time in seven years and the pond was packed with goldfish. :cry: Fished an hour at sundown and got skunked.

I know my uncle was wrong to transfer fish but as a kid it was fun as hell but it didn't require me to learn to fish which I regret.

In some ways it seems like whoever released the goldfish are no better than my uncle... But goldfish! please.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Too bad about your pond. I had a friend do the same thing to a small pond like that. He built it from scratch and he had it dredged out for good depth (15 feet) and we spent a few years making it a fishing paradise by stocking everything from big largemouth, smallmouth, muskie, crappie, catfish, gills, etc. The fishing was great for a few years as we kept up with seining minnows to feed them. Eventually though, as we slacked off on monitoring and mantaining it, the fish started to dissapear. Small ponds aren't really meant for walleye, pike, musky, etc and without really good management and balance, some can be poor for bass too. Too bad about your pond. Maybe its time for you to start stocking it again :wink:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I know exactly wich pond your talking about. It got ruined as when Hookers bait and tackle was around, This kid that I will keep my mouth shut about his name actually told a whole bunch of people about it. I caught a 44" ski outta there. Released him back, He was caught in the fall on an orange and brown Mepps Muskie Killer. This was about 5-6 years ago. I haven't been back since I always got chased outta there as someone hooked a swan supposebly at the time. That's a shame it went down hill. There was like 12 Ski's in there supposebly. I had many follow ups there years ago, just could never figure 8 by the shore to hit em. But I knew it was not going to last long as muskie are territorial and need 1 acre a ski. This pond is smal and deep as I can remember. It is a healthy little pond. But I remember catching bass outta there with bite marks across their whole body in a U shape of their Jaw. I think the goldfish were released by a employe of Hookers bait and tackle as he was always trying to feed the skis' and telling everyone about it. The funny thing is. When I was 16 my buddy worked at hookers bait and tackle and got a free guide map of the fox river with everything marked on it! :lol: He made me and my buddies all copies and put it back behind the counter. LOL That bait store was a joke!

Sorry to hear about the pond, it has been ruined years ago. I wouldn't be suprised if there was 1 or 2 ski's left in there though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.