Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was up a few days ago, looking and preparing my tacklebox for future trips. I noticed I had an old Sabiki rig there, from back in Arg. I remember catching Needlefish, and Herring back there, off small piers, and it was in Saltwater... So, I thought to myself: "Is there anyway to get bait from lake michigan with this?" Remember, the Sabiki was used for Saltwater before.

My question is Short: Is there anyway to use this in Lake Michigan for Alewive and Smelt (for use as bait for Perch and Salmonids???)
I mean, even if the alewives and Smelt don't work as bait, atleast I am saving myself from a complete Skunk! :lol:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If you can find them thick enough in a spot to drop a sabiki, go for it.

I could be mistaken, but I think alewife and smelt in LM eat tiny zooplankton, so a little fly with a gold hook on it won't look like food to them.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Used sabiki rigs all my life for saltwater fishing - great way to catch bait.

I don't know much about perch fishing out here, but I would think it might be effective. Although, are there regulations on the number of hooks you can have at one time? Typical sabiki rigs have 4 to 6 hooks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fishthoughts said:

I don't know much about perch fishing out here, but I would think it might be effective. Although, are there regulations on the number of hooks you can have at one time? Typical sabiki rigs have 4 to 6 hooks.
Up to 50 total per person (divide amongst as many rods as you want... label rods after 2) on Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay K said:
Fishthoughts said:

Up to 50 total per person (divide amongst as many rods as you want... label rods after 2) on Lake Michigan.
Guys, thanks for the info. I will try it the next time I go out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.