Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Saturday starting at waukegan. On govt pier a steelhead was caught and over on the s rocks I saw a king landed. I moved to kenosha harbor and the action was good but I had no luck.
Tonight I went to kenosha first and it was slow with 2 fish landed. On the way home i tried waukegan and there was one other guy who just landed a very small king just before I got there. I got my first fish of the year shortly after :D That guy left and I was all alone, after awhile I started declaring last cast aloud. On my 2nd last cast I got a big one, she really made my drag scream. I got her in and netted by myself, then I managed to drop her and she slid between rocks down into a hole with my lure stuck in her mouth :evil: :evil: :evil: I spent at lest an hour trying to fish her out of the hole and lost 2 more lures because my 20 lb braid wasnt enough to lift the fishs deead weight :evil: :evil: :roll: Finally another fishermen came and 2 minds are better than one. I looped about 6 loops through a hole in my net handle and used it to snag the lure in her mouth. :) Carrying 40 lbs of fish off the rocks and to the car in the outer parking lot sure sux as does having to clean these fish now at 440 am, but it was all worth it.
Edit-My first fish was about a 9-12 lb female and the big one was about 16 lbs and turned out to be a male.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel I coulda caught at least 1 more and maybe 2 in that time i was fishing in the rocks. It was actually pretty funny- picture me slipping lures and hooks down a little hole and trying to get the hooks into this fish's mouth to drag it back out. All the while worried a giant rat or raccoon is gonna come along and steal my fish.

· Registered
144 Posts
Thats good to hear you got your fish. I remember fishing the rocks for the 1st time at Amoco water discharge in Whiting In. I caught 3 Kings and
had them laying on the rocks behind me, after a little while I heard a noise and turned around to look and my Fish were gone! I kept hearing this odd noise and shined my light down in the rocks and found my fish,
Lets just say the Rats had a good meal. :shock:
Glad to here fish at Waukegan, I just got back from Montrose and went 2 for 2.

Chuck

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Well done svslider! Man i can't imagine what you went through to get that king out of those rocks. :shock: I've done that walk with a limit of Kings last year twice on the jetty side. First time was brutal 5 kings on a stringer, two rods, a net, and a small cooler for the spawn it took me about 30-45 minutes to walk back to my car made more than a dozen stops. The second time it wasnt that bad at all as I brought two back packs with me one for my tackle and one for the kings. The walk was 10 times better.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the end of the rocks by the lighthouse is a coveted spot. On any day with alot of fishermen there that area fills up first. You can catch fish all along the rocks all the way to the parking lot though.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im going to be between waukegan and kenosha a few more days this week and Im going to montrose at least once also. Entering a tourney sounds fun but my schedule usually doesnt work out for those. I do think that 50 bux on the line would really make the whole fight of a king salmon that much more crazy. There is a get together from another site this weekend at govt pier if thats what you meant infamouz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.