Chicago Fishing Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Aux Pleins said:
coyote said:
Wow great memories of of one of my old stomping grounds. Never caught much in that pond , but the Italian Girls from the surrounding area were the best catch around. Pop is buried in ST. Joes so i spend some time around in the area.
You know the neighborhood well. Yea the Italian neighborhood is all but gone, mostly polish and Ukrainian now..
You say that as if it's a bad thing. :lol:

Just playin with ya.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
Aux Pleins said:
coyote said:
Wow great memories of of one of my old stomping grounds. Never caught much in that pond , but the Italian Girls from the surrounding area were the best catch around. Pop is buried in ST. Joes so i spend some time around in the area.
You know the neighborhood well. Yea the Italian neighborhood is all but gone, mostly polish and Ukrainian now..
You say that as if it's a bad thing. :lol:

Just playin with ya.
I don't speak a word of it. Wish I did because the neighborhood literally 60% polish 20%Ukrainian and %20 everyone else... even when I go to the grocery store the people at the register speak to me in Polish, (I don't know any) so I just nod and smile. Speaking of the grocery store, the women from the forementioned countries have an all out dress pagent when they go grocery shopping. My god, I can't take my wife it's that bad, or good :lol: Every guy in there goes home with a stiff neck from all the head spins.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Haha, I've noticed the same thing when I go into a Polish deli to grab some assorted Polish foods I enjoy. The younger ones are always dressed to the nines to pick up some bread and sausage. And... they love their yoga pants. Not complaining, obviously!

And yeah, being 50% Polish myself, it's one of the things I wish my Dad had followed through on, honestly. He speaks fluent Polish, as do his brother and sisters. I remember them all speaking to each other in Polish whenever we all got together at my grandma's for holidays and things like that. But he never taught any of us(me, my bro, or my sis). And come to think of it... NONE of my aunts or uncles that all speak fluent Polish ever taught any of their kids how to speak it fluently. My Dad, uncle, and four aunts all speak it fluently, all had multiple kids, but not one of us cousins knows how to speak it fluently. They never taught any of us, and there's.... 16 of us in our generation. Had never thought about it, but the fluent Polish in my family ends with my Dad's generation. Kinda sucks, honestly. I'd have to learn it on my own if I ever wanted to keep it going. Otherwise, when my aunts/uncles/dad pass away, the fluent Polish passes with them.

My other half is a mashup of British, Czech/Slovak, and Hungarian. The latter 3 of which were basically all one, at one time. They were part of Austria-Hungary. Post WW1, Austria-Hungary was split, and Czechoslovakia came to be, then in the early 90's, that split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia. So... I'm really 25% British, 25% Austrian/Hungarian/Czech/Slovak(although IDK wtf that would be considered), and 50% Polish.

Still wish I had been taught Polish growing up, though.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Smallies its not bad at all to have other ethnic groups in the area, just pretty sad most of the Italians from areas like Melrose, Franklin Park, Elmwood park areas and around Harlem and Grand have left the area. They made these areas what they were. I loved the time i grew up around there. If you know where the JUNGLE is and was in Franklin Park in the late 70s and early 80s , after living there i knew it was time to leave the area and did by 1986. Never caught more than a Bullhead in that pond, and back then the Law was as long as you are 15 feet from your Car you could do anything you wanted in that Forest Preserve. Btw i work with Polish and Ukranines and love there work ethic.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts