Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Schilla Killa<-->Schiller Pond

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Fish Sleep Repeat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Killed my first fish of the year at Schiller Pond yesterday.Not only did I feel embarrassed a dieing fish just floated away in front of about 20 spectators and I was really pissed it happened to be the Elusive Schilla Bass, that is totally dwindling in numbers there. I was out there doing some early season Channel Catfishing on the bottom with Canadian NightCrawlers, apparently you just throw the container on the ground somewhere when you are done, cuz they are lying around everywhere. Went to check my line after about ten minutes to see if those half dollar gills ripped me off yet and I bring in this nice 2.5-3lb largie. No fight it was like he was dead. This fish swallowed the hook, couldnt even see it anymore, so I just cut the line and released him immediately. He intially took to the water and swam off, but then turned sideways and just started floating. Dam, couldnt I have just killed one of those 2000 blue gills I've caught there in the process of finding a bass there. I was so pissed I fed the next blue gill to my dog[/b]
CIMG2560.JPG
Just kidding..... But seriously I like Schiller Pond no bass or not, even if its over run by Euros who walk passed the garbage cans and throw everything, mostly cig butts and bottles, right in the pond. Even if the usual 2 fast 2 furious club is there with their annoying mufflers(that really sound terrible, not cool) not to mention that annoying european techno dance music that is always at full bore. Heck I even deal with the dorks who bring their remote control boats there along with there parked in reverse cousins throughout the parking lot. If you ignore all the rudeness and trash everywhere, you might think it has great potential as well.
CIMG2562.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
---------- yea no photos of the bass because I thought he was suffering on the hook for a while before I brought him in, and I was right as he did expire..... And no cats either, I'll post them this summer when they get really active.

#7 ·
But seriously I like Schiller Pond no bass or not, even if its over run by Euros who walk passed the garbage cans and throw everything, mostly cig butts and bottles, right in the pond. Even if the usual 2 fast 2 furious club is there with their annoying mufflers(that really sound terrible, not cool) not to mention that annoying european techno dance music that is always at full bore. Heck I even deal with the dorks who bring their remote control boats there along with there parked in reverse cousins throughout the parking lot. If you ignore all the rudeness and trash everywhere, you might think it has great potential as well.Hahaha dead on description! Couldn't have said it better dude hahaha the old legend of what backing into a spot there means is still alive and well lol and I visit those woods regularly even if i ain't fishing and am with the lady I will usually pick up trash. Those woods are special to me too

#8 ·
Huh..... i have never thought to give that little pond a try as the pods of people have kept me from turning in there in summer. Although the hill is good in winter. Just make sure to learn the polish swear words before you send the kids down in their sleds.

#10 ·
I sincerely hope the bass ended up living 5 years ago and is now thriving 5 years later. Just catch it again, cut it open and count the rings. If it has 5 then that means it's possibly the same bass from 5 years ago. If not , then it probably did infact die 5 years ago

#14 ·
YOU POS!!! How could you do that to that poor bass!!!

lolol I kid I kid....that does suck but MAYBE that bass used your bait to commit suicide. Think about it...that poor bass all alone in that pond...It swallowed your hook and said "lord take the wheel". lol

#18 ·
bassman29 said:
I sincerely hope the bass ended up living 5 years ago and is now thriving 5 years later. Just catch it again, cut it open and count the rings. If it has 5 then that means it's possibly the same bass from 5 years ago. If not , then it probably did infact die 5 years ago
You are an idiot! Lol

#20 ·
coyote said:
Wow great memories of of one of my old stomping grounds. Never caught much in that pond , but the Italian Girls from the surrounding area were the best catch around. Pop is buried in ST. Joes so i spend some time around in the area.
You know the neighborhood well. Yea the Italian neighborhood is all but gone, mostly polish and Ukrainian now..

#21 ·
Aux Pleins said:
coyote said:
Wow great memories of of one of my old stomping grounds. Never caught much in that pond , but the Italian Girls from the surrounding area were the best catch around. Pop is buried in ST. Joes so i spend some time around in the area.
You know the neighborhood well. Yea the Italian neighborhood is all but gone, mostly polish and Ukrainian now..
You say that as if it's a bad thing. :lol:

Just playin with ya.

#22 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
Aux Pleins said:
coyote said:
You say that as if it's a bad thing. :lol:

Just playin with ya.
I don't speak a word of it. Wish I did because the neighborhood literally 60% polish 20%Ukrainian and %20 everyone else... even when I go to the grocery store the people at the register speak to me in Polish, (I don't know any) so I just nod and smile. Speaking of the grocery store, the women from the forementioned countries have an all out dress pagent when they go grocery shopping. My god, I can't take my wife it's that bad, or good :lol: Every guy in there goes home with a stiff neck from all the head spins.

Attachments

#23 ·
Haha, I've noticed the same thing when I go into a Polish deli to grab some assorted Polish foods I enjoy. The younger ones are always dressed to the nines to pick up some bread and sausage. And... they love their yoga pants. Not complaining, obviously!

And yeah, being 50% Polish myself, it's one of the things I wish my Dad had followed through on, honestly. He speaks fluent Polish, as do his brother and sisters. I remember them all speaking to each other in Polish whenever we all got together at my grandma's for holidays and things like that. But he never taught any of us(me, my bro, or my sis). And come to think of it... NONE of my aunts or uncles that all speak fluent Polish ever taught any of their kids how to speak it fluently. My Dad, uncle, and four aunts all speak it fluently, all had multiple kids, but not one of us cousins knows how to speak it fluently. They never taught any of us, and there's.... 16 of us in our generation. Had never thought about it, but the fluent Polish in my family ends with my Dad's generation. Kinda sucks, honestly. I'd have to learn it on my own if I ever wanted to keep it going. Otherwise, when my aunts/uncles/dad pass away, the fluent Polish passes with them.

My other half is a mashup of British, Czech/Slovak, and Hungarian. The latter 3 of which were basically all one, at one time. They were part of Austria-Hungary. Post WW1, Austria-Hungary was split, and Czechoslovakia came to be, then in the early 90's, that split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia. So... I'm really 25% British, 25% Austrian/Hungarian/Czech/Slovak(although IDK wtf that would be considered), and 50% Polish.

Still wish I had been taught Polish growing up, though.

#24 ·
Smallies its not bad at all to have other ethnic groups in the area, just pretty sad most of the Italians from areas like Melrose, Franklin Park, Elmwood park areas and around Harlem and Grand have left the area. They made these areas what they were. I loved the time i grew up around there. If you know where the JUNGLE is and was in Franklin Park in the late 70s and early 80s , after living there i knew it was time to leave the area and did by 1986. Never caught more than a Bullhead in that pond, and back then the Law was as long as you are 15 feet from your Car you could do anything you wanted in that Forest Preserve. Btw i work with Polish and Ukranines and love there work ethic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.