Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife was working tonight so I had about an hour of daylight to get out and fish. I was out a few weeks ago trying to get the hang of topwater frog fishing. On that trip I had many blowups, a few hooked fish, but none landed. After awhile I went back to the buzzbait and picked up a couple, including one nice fish.

I knew the scum would be even worse tonight so I decided to live or die with the Bigfoot scum frog. I brought out a heavier rod and decided to crank the drag down and not mess around with the fish that much. It really made a difference which suprised me a bit. I finished 5 for 8 and the hook fell out of every single fish after landing them. I guess I just needed to keep a little more pressure on the fish.

Here is the nicest of the night

Fun outing for sure but I am still not sold on this bait inparticular. The legs kind of act like a buzzbait and make a nice commotion but the hooks are far from weedless and the hollow body takes on water faster then the Titanic. I still may be tempted to give it a try on Delavan next week for a monster pike though :p

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Frog fishing is awesome. "Tournament Frog" is my personal favorite. Hook sets seem fine with that. I've heard good stuff about scum frogs. Might have to pick some up.

Awesome mid-week bass, Matt!

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toothdoc said:
Nice bass Matt. I would be interested in seeing how that bait holds up against a big northern. :?
Me too :p I know I can get action on it but it would sure be a downer to lose a huge fish on it knowing I could of kept it hooked with a buzzbait. I still think I gotta try it though.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I recall those kind being the most popular of the scum frog offerings. Nice to hear some feedback on the application tho. Nice fish. Top water fishing has to be the most exciting....maybe next to pulling a hog thru the ice when the bite is slim to none. But I won't go there.....not this early.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Matt i see you are warming up for next week, trying some new methods i see.Way to stcik it to them bass. Any body have any luck with a topwater called the top prop, its been a while but used to have sucess with them might give it a try again.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

Mike, I think that may be a good change of pace bait in a few of the places we like to fish :wink:

One other thing about this bait is the castability is not the greatest. It is a light bait and it catches the wind really bad. To get a decent cast I really had to keep the bait low to the water and line drive it out there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nice fish! I haven't really had any problem hooking up with a scum frog trophy series. My 9 year old son has lost several though. Maybe you need to set the hook harder than a 9 year old? :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ringneck said:
Nice fish! I haven't really had any problem hooking up with a scum frog trophy series. My 9 year old son has lost several though. Maybe you need to set the hook harder than a 9 year old? :wink:
I've been lifting weights to work on that. So far my trainer says I have the strength of a 7 yr. old girl. I am working on it though :p

Paul, thats a good tip. I will try that :wink:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Matt, I always had luck with the Strike King frog that Bill Dance always promoted. Twister tail legs and plenty of weight to it for casting, extremely weedless and durable also. Don't know if they still make them though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice fish Matt, photos like that make me want to hit the pond. It's been a few months since I've caught a large mouth. If you have a free hour or two maybe I can meet you out there.

I've been wanting to try more frogs as well. Still gunning for that 10 down in FLA, good bait to add to the arsenal. Hopefully, this will be the year!

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nathan, I actually though about giving you a call when I was driving over there. I wasn't sure what your hours/availability are now that you in Dekalb. Usually it is a last minute decision for me but it would be cool to plan something in advance. Next time for sure.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Matt, my schedule is the same 8-5 mon-Fri. only change is if I know the day before I will throw a different rod and a couple LMB baits in the truck. Otherwise it will be a hour round trip to run home and back.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.