Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hired up a great guide and hit several SE Wisconsin lakes for some musky fishing. I was hoping it would lead to my first musky after many attempts. I had also purchased a custom rod over the Winter that I was hoping to break in. We started out trolling at 5:00am which, after an hour or so, produced my first musky ever; a 34" green/gold beauty. Not huge, but I finally broke the skunk.

We then moved on to casting and I had one hit on a figure 8 which almost gave me a heart attack. That is a rush. I have never had a fish follow any time I have casted for musky so having one hit on a figure 8 was the ultimate. One hit and he was gone.

After not seeing another fish for a while we went back to trolling and got one on right away. As it got closer to the boat it got tangled up with one of the other trolling lines and the fish popped off. That resulted in a lot of swearing by both me and the guide. It was probably a low 40's fish. A little while later we broke for a few hours and got back together to fish a couple of other lakes.

Fished another lake for 2 hours with nothing so we moved again.

This third lake was a beautiful lake and super clear. We started fishing over a nice weed bed and I was using a topwater plop-plop bait. After 10 casts the water erupted and we had "Fish On!!!". After a nice little fight, which was handled beautifully on the custom rod, we netted the 41-incher. What a nice fish. The colors and markings were amazing on this one. And the first fish on my new rod not to mention my first casting fish. I was literally shaking after that one. I have never had a rush like that one. Oh man, it still gets me going even today. After that I caught a 30" pike and the guide landed a really nice 42.5" musky on a double-bladed bucktail. We ended our day at 9:45pm.

12.5 hours fished, 3 musky in the boat, 2 others that we could have caught. A lot of fun and the guide was awesome. Look him up. His website is http://www.ultimatemuskyguide.com/index2.html

I would post pictures, but I have a feeling some people on here would make some comments about how the fish was held, etc. I don't need the grief. They were nice fish though. If you're nice though I might PM pictures to you if you want. Later.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Matt, sounds like you had a killer day of fishing. Congrats on breaking your rod in. Wish you could share those pictures with everyone without getting grief. I know what you mean, and don't blame you for feeling the way you do. Bring some photos to the next WCF event, will ya?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sounds like an awesome outing and lots of excitement. I use to live up in Oconomowoc for a bit, So I know what your talking about. Those lakes are awesome! Too bad you lost the fish trolling and the one on the figure 8. But it sounds like you still had a killer time on the water. Great Job Out There!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
That's great that he put you on some fish. I can only imagine the rush that came with landing those nice fish. That's something when, by just thinking about it, the rush returns. JB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.