Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to deep lake on sunday with the intent of breaking my senko skunk. however I didn't have much luck with the heavy cover and the senko. I felt like I wasn't getting the action I needed in the cover. Anyone have any advice? Or is this more of a weed line, above the weeds type bait. If so I guess I was too shallow because the weeds were to the surface. any help would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Because the senko is a great lure when rigged weedless it does do well in the weeds. The best success I have had with it is when you bring it through the weeds and have it pop out into a clear pocket in the weeds. It also works extremely well on weedlines, under docks, and along other vertical structures. Like many lures it won't always catch you a fish, but in right conditions and right colors it's deadly. What worked on Saturday was a dark color pulled into pockets as well as worked along weedlines and under docks. Keep at it and it will reward you.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i think senkos are the ultimate weed bait. find an open pocket in the weeds. get your senko there and let her do her magic on the fall. if no strike occurs on the fall, you can then start working the senko and slither that stick bait thru the cabbage like a soft jerkbait.

the magic is in the fall, but they do have fantastic action when worked like a jerkbait. try "walk the dog" style retrieve and your sure to peek some interest from a near by bass.

good luck and keep at it. it's a phenominal bait! i never fish without them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
other than whats been said, i've found a set of three colors to be good for almost all situations: pumpkinseed, black (no flake) and white/cream laminate. also, in addition to the above posts, don't be afraid to let the senko sit on the bottom for a bit, i've gotten quite a few bites doing just that. be creative on how you work it, i think it is somewhat of a personal thing, both the angler and the lake or situation, but usually the drop is what gets 'em.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Wacky rigging has gotten to be so popular that rigging it Texas (like Augy mentioned) is somewhat of a lost art. Again, as Augy said, deadsticking is a great way to pick up fish, especially alfter the intitial cast. Most of my fish are caught on the initial fall or after it sits on the bottom for a few seconds. After much experimentation I have found no reason to make long retrieves with them, as the closer the bait gets to me, the less success I have.

·
Registered
702 Posts
that's funny, i hardly ever wacky rig! almost always texas-rig 'em and toss into weeds or a drop off. i too notice a sharp decline in strikes as i work them in. i usually just stop after a couple pop-n-drops and reel in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.