Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Lee's the other day and there was a very nice gentleman who was setting up new shipments of senkos. He said he's the distributor for Senko. There were some custom baits with cool colors at the tip. Anyway, I told him that I haven't had much luck with Senkos and he said I was reeling in too fast. He also said the muddier & darker the water, I should use darker baits and use clear & more bright ones for clearer water. He said fish can see darker color baits better in dark water. Is this correct? I always thought it was the opposite.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Check out Jason's posts about Senko fishing at the top of this forum. He did a great job explaining the presentaion.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I don't throw Senkos that often in heavily stained water but if I do I go with black/blue flake or a junebug color. Yes, a color basics is to either use chartreuse OR dark colors in muddy water. While dark colored Senkos also work in clear water, I use mainly a variety of watermellon and pumpkin. I don't use real light-colored senkos but I would think that they would be thrown in clear water in bright conditions. I wouldn't overthink the color choices if you are just learning. Get some watermellon/red, green pumpkin, and and black/blue Senkos and start fishing 'em. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have had weird luck with different colors. I've used brighter colors in murky water and caught stuff that the darker colors weren't catching. And other days the opposite.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I am probably too stubborn with my color selection. I have my favorites and usually throw them regardless of clarity. One day on Geneva a few years ago my buddy was just smoking them on white senkos which lends credence to using lighter colors in gin clear water.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I have caught fish on all different colors in different water clarity. but love white senko's in clear water quarries or lakes. but muddy ponds, swamps and reservoirs. I like watermelon with red or black flake or black and blue. It's hard to say because I use them all and have had success in all different condtions. Evem with dark colored senkos in clear water lakes... It is just a killer bait.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I've always had success With dark Colors In dark water, So yes :mrgreen: But what do I know :roll:

Senko fishin... Isn't for us city folk :mrgreen:

- Geo

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
825 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
I have caught fish on all different colors in different water clarity. but love white senko's in clear water quarries or lakes. but muddy ponds, swamps and reservoirs. I like watermelon with red or black flake or black and blue. It's hard to say because I use them all and have had success in all different condtions. Evem with dark colored senkos in clear water lakes... It is just a killer bait.
Agreed 100%. I have caught bass on every color Senko I have thrown. Like Matt and Wrench, I have my favorites but I have no doubts that the other colors will catch fish. Sure, some colors will be more productive on certain days but if you have a few basics you'll be in great shape.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Richard Burton :roll:

But he was right for once on what he told you... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Like Paul S. said, don't overthink colors too much. The endless amount of color options is a marketing strategy to catch more of the angler than fish.

I stick to a basic formula of 5 colors for Senkos and Yum Dingers to cover all conditions. Dark solid, dark with flakes, light solid, light with flakes and two tone in silver/white or green/white. One of these colors is bound to tempt old bucketmouth in any condition. I do well using the two tone colors as jerkbaits if no hits happen on the fall. Slash, slash, pause...slash, slash, pause...work it to surface then let fall again at next weed edge or pocket. Mimmicks dying or fleeing baitfish. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
George W said:
I've always had success With dark Colors In dark water, So yes :mrgreen: But what do I know :roll:

Senko fishin... Isn't for us city folk :mrgreen:

- Geo

:mrgreen:
Why would it not be for us city folk? I would have caught three bass on them if I could figure out how the hell to set the hook when texas rigged. Still learning as you can tell. :roll:

On a side note Geo if your ever feeling like you want to give someone some tips on a fishing trip some time let me know. Hint Hint.

I have watched your youtube vids and I must say I am impressed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.