Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather was great, but it was another tough day on Shabbona. My son and I hit the water about 10:30am, fished the NorthEast bay throwing chatters, spinners and senkos with nothing.

Moved to the North cove and picked up a few dink bass on minnows.

Decided to try for some Crappie, hit up the campground cribs using minnows and mini-mites without success. Moved to the NMZ and tried 6-7 different tree/stump areas without anything... quite unusual.

Moved and anchored over the old roadbed off of the point by North cove. Figured to pick up a few cats at least to feel something decent pulling on the line. Bite picked up about 4:30, and we ended up with about 12 decent perch, a few more bass in the 10-12" range, and then it happend......

My son's rod bends so far over I thought it was going to snap! He stand's up with kind of a panicked look on his face, and asked me which way to loosen his drag. I'm grabbing for the net, and telling him "left! loosen it to the left!" and to play it easy so the line won't snap.

Well he only has 8lb line on, and the drag is singing like a supercharger, then the line goes slack. Thought he'd lost it, then he starts to reel in the slack and says "Oh wait, it's still there..." About 2' from the boat the water explodes and a huge Musky jumps! It saw the boat and did the 'ol Esox roll and dove under the boat, and before I could tell him to open his bail, it snapped the line and was gone. He was broken hearted, but I think his heart was still racing when we got home around 7 that night.

And the kicker of this was, he was fishing a nightcrawler on the bottom in about 3' of water! :shock:

Although it wasn't much solice to him, I explained to him that even experienced fishermen with proper gear lose fish like that on occassion.

He already asked me on our way home when we'd be coming back so he can catch that Musky! :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Nice report. Sounds like boy will be hooked on fishing for the rest of his life based on losing that one fish. Big fish can do that to a person. I need to get out to Shabbona at some point this year to give it a go for some musky and walleye. Sounds like a great lake. :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Great post Lip_Yanker

Glad to here your son got the thrill of having a big Musky on his line. Too bad it got away.. But you both now have a mission to track that baby down together...
I've heard a lot of early spring surprize reports of Muskie on crawlers in early spring on Shabbona..

Good choice of lures for Shabbona, Next time your in NE bay in spring throw a blue/chrome rattletrap in the mix. Bass and ski's like them...

NPIKE

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a great lake, but can be very frustrating sometimes. More so than most every other place I've ever fished. If you go, get an all weather map from Lakeside Bait & Tackle, well worth the investment.

NPIKE- My silver/blue rattletrap was about the only thing I didn't throw that day! Next time though, maybe this weekend.

My son told me he wanted to go shopping too- he wants to gear up for that Moosky! Talking about 65lb braid, and new bucktails etc... I think I've created a monster. lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
really great post i was really into it myself felt like i was there lol i wish u guys would have got him in the boat...... im planning on goin out there maybe this summer long trip but i hope u guys get him next time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.