Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the entire lake for 12hrs- 6:30am-6:30pm. Bright sunshine, water temp 73, light SouthWest wind. Water very clear, on the South East end of the lake, we could see the bottom about 7-8' down.

My son was the big winner, catching countless 2-3lb Channel Cats, a few hand sized Sunnies (neon bright colors on them), and a few Perch.

Me, not so much. I had made it my mission to use only artificials, and threw my entire tackle assortment to no avail. And I mean everything in my box, not that I'm stocked like a Cabelas or BPS, but c'mon...

A variety of plastics, spinners, buzz baits, spoons, jigs, jerks, cranks, and bucktails. Worked 'em slow, medium, fast, shallow and deep. Not a freakin follow or hit all day.

Anybody have some time to show me what I'm doing wrong? Frustration does not begin to describe my mood last night.

I managed only 2 Perch and 1 Sunnie. And that was not until about 4pm, and only then using a couple pieces of crawler.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bright sunny day on shab in july I would work buzz baits and top waters early morning and sunset for bass. During the day slop fishing plastic frog, mouse or crawler. Or go deep with soft plastics.

You can work Live bait leetches or softplastics at Damm face for bass also.

Walleyes work trees in about 20 FOW close to dropoffs leetches or crawlers using jig or lindy rig also try roadbed or rockpiles...

Crappie: should be in deep trees 30FOW susspended 14 to 17 FOW on suuny day and up higher on cloudy day. Keep it simple aberdeen hook and split shot minnow flat line or slip bobber. Watch line, bite may be light, watch for lift bite line goes slack or float comes up. Line sideways ect.
First bite don't worry about reeling fish in pay attention at what depth of bite was and adjust slip bobbers or flat line of other rods within that range.

Just a starting point for you but also keep in mind that the water clarity has changed dramaticly this year so don't focus on past few years success and readjust your thinking to fishing more clear water.

I will also have to force myself to readjust and not focus on past years traditional spots and tactics.

Good Luck

NPIKE

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Lip Yanker,
Your day sounds like a typical one of mine there... Although, I somehow am able to manage a couple runts throughout the day... I feel the same way... Throw the tackle box at 'em and not much to show for it... I think though with the clearer water it has got to pick up some... At least now they can see what we're throwing at 'em... - BPM

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My goal is this season to use only artificials, no matter the body of water, and has not worked so far.

I can only hope for better luck yet this season. I am trying to teach my son the ways of plastics etc... and have not been sucesssful so far. He thinks I'm nuts for not using live bait, and he's outfished me easily 10-1.

4th of July weekend, will breakdown and go "live" using crawlers and leaches for cats... might even try to hit the big "Miss" for a few, but probably only get as far West as the Rock River...

Hope the lures produce some action later this season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.