Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to take a short trip from 12P-5P Sunday. Options were Shabbona or Heidecke. I was feeling lazy and did not want to set up the trolling rods so I opted for Shabbona. Crazy traffic out there with the majority of boats being the anchor and bobber crowd. Things started off great on the 3rd cast with a mid 30's muskie taking a boatside swipe on an X-Rap on the point directly south of the NE bay. After that things slowed considerably and I worked all the way past the dam with only a couple short bass to show for it. The highlight of the day was when I was working back towards the launch. There was a shorefishermen so I angled out a little deeper to work around him. I threw the X-Rap in about 10 feet and hooked into a nice ski. I only had 6lb braid but it was hooked nicely with the front treble in the jaw with the bait outside of the mouth. After a lengthy battle the fish made another run and a head shake dislodged the lure. Probably an upper 30's fish. I would of liked to stay out a bit longer as when I left some clouds were moving in and the boats were finally starting to thin out. One thing is for sure, that is my last weekend trip out there for awhile. I was very suprised at the lack of action around the dam. Normally I do exceptionally well there for crappie, bass, walleye, and catfish this time of year. Next trip is my annual Fox River eyes trek as long as these rains do not make it unfishable.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
twoglasseyes said:
Even though you didnt land them, its still not too Shabby!
:lol:

On another note, Lakeside tackle has monster jumbo leeches which they have had in stock since the end of April. Most suppliers still don't have the jumbos in yet. It was worth the trip just to restock the leech pail with black gold :wink:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice job out there, I had 2 buddies out there the same day on a Nitro.. you might have seen them. they landed 1 short Ski and a bunch of crappies.

Thanks for the report.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.