Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After My son took a beating at Delevan last week from yours truly (Dad) he talked me into going to Shabbona Thursday for a day of multi-speces fishing..

We started fishing for walleye in the East Bay I got a small 12 inch walleye on a lindy rig w/leetch in about 7 fow. spent an hr working the bay only picking up a small bass. Decided to work our way toward the road bed casting for bass,, When we hit north east cove my son caught a small muskie on a rattle trap... While it was small it still set him up early in the day with bragging rights...

We worked the North East cove with little success so set up on the road bed and rockpile with live bait.. My son caught a few small walleye and we both caught a few crappie and gills.. At this point my son proclaimed he would catch every major spieces in the lake today..

Next we were off to the campground cribs for the crappie challange. With shab crappie size limitations in mind .It. was first one to catch 10 over 8.5"..
While my son took the early lead his knack for snagging the crib got me to the finish line first in a neck and neck battle. Sadly the largest was only 9.5" his of course. All caught on minnow casting around the crib.

Next was the bass challange as we moved to the dam face. We worked the shore with soft plastic and spinners. After a few misses my son gets on board with a 22 inch catfish.. then gets the first bass..
We decided to anchor and set up on the dam face a long cast from the spillway to slow our presentation down. We ended up having our best success going back to live bait casting leetches at the shoreline with a light splitshot I managed 8 to my sons 12 bass all in the 13 to 15 inch range his being the bigger ones ...

After we ran out of leetches we put on some muskie baits and trolled half the lake (My last hope of redeming myself) ..
With no hits no runs bottom of the 9th it was time to pack it in.

While we didnt catch any monster fish today numbers were good and my son set his goal of catching a muskie, walleye, bass, crappie, gill and catfish in one outing and managed the bigger fish for the day so I knew it was going to be a long ride home for me.

NPIKE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Npike,

Sounds like you & your son had a descent day.

I fished Shabbona with a bunch of guys from work last year. It was 98 degrees, no wind & humid. Out of the 13 or 14 guys that went not one fish was caught.

We all got skunked & I had to pay $125 for the bass boat rental.

I still enjoyed myself. After all a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work.

Hope to see you out there sometime.

Nice job.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Yep! Can't get enough of the Shabbona reports. I love that place...lots of different types of species always keeps ya guessing.

JB.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the nice replys...
I always enjoy fishing Shabbona.. Its the lake I've fished most. Haven't fished it as much the last two years got my first boat last year and started exploring some other waters. But I know I will get out there a few more times this year hope to run into a few of you out there.

NPIKE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.