Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been awhile since I enjoyed Shabbona the way I used to. I spent many a night with a buddy fishing the evening away and then eventually breaking out the lantern and fishing to close. Back then I was obsessed with catching a big catfish. Not sure why, but I never tired of it. Tonight I tried to reconnect to that and kick back a bit. Funny thing is, the fishing was way better then I remember it. I don't know if the equipment I have is better, I am a little more well rounded, or it is just plain better out there now. Maybe a combo of all 3, but it sure made for a good time. I started out fishing closer in to shore and after 5 bass in 5 casts I thought I was going to run out of bait quickly. I switched from freelining to a float setup and worked farther off shore. I still could not keep the bass off, but finally a crappie made an appearance. As the sun go lower I hooked into something much larger and was suprised to catch a catfish.

After the cat I decided to add some weight and fish on the bottom and man o man, is this a good catfish lake. I lost count after awhile but it was every cast. I couldn't even light a smoke they were hitting so fast. They were anywhere from 2-6 pounds or so, and all Phat :wink:

Luckily I was able to reuse much of the bait, especially when the cats hit. I was still catching bass though and when they would jump, normally the bait would go the other way and I would lose it.

Right before dark my last 3 casts netted 3 walleyes. I wish I had more bait and won't make the mistake next time out.

All in all, I would say this was my funnest outing of the year. It seems all the places around my old stomping grounds that I used to fish have gotten worse or at best stayed similar. Its the first time I can remember trying to reconnect with an old spot and having it be even better. If you can make it out to Shabbs, go for it. There was a father and daughter farther down the bank having the times of their lives as well. Can't beat it :wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Wow u sound like a kid in a candy store :D great that u had a great time out there ,I need an outing like that !

Great job dude !

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You'd have to check with Cabela's as that's where I ganked the picture from....they really seem to be customer service oriented over there so I'm sure it's just a matter of saying.."Well she's in the ad! What do you mean she's not included?!" :wink:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nice cats Matt. The last few years Shabbona has really turned out some great channels, on a consistent basis. Who said lounge fishin is boring!?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The wife and I went back out last night and did pretty good. Lots of small bass though. She gave up after awhile and went back to the car because it was "too buggy." She did alright for the time she was out but unfortunately lost a real nice bass after a great fight. Crappie are up spawning and really aggressive as well. The night was capped off with a nice legal eye. As we left we saw plenty of deer and the turkeys were gobblin :wink:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've been hearing more reports of legal Eyes being caught recently on Shabbona. Used to be more of once in a while report of one legal caught now seems like most reports include 1 or 2 over 18". Nice to here.

Heading up there Friday morning to bass fish with a friend. I might have to stay around after he leaves and check out that early evening walleye bite :wink:

·
Registered
535 Posts
FisninMatt wrote:
Npike, how did you do Friday?
My buddy got 1 fat 35" Musky other than that numbers were good but size could have been better Couldn't get a pattern on bigger Bass. Alot of the lake was muddy from storms Damm was clear though..

Read report under
Sabbona Friday 13th Do you Fell Lucky
I think I will be going again this upcoming Thurs and Friday got cabin 1 night.

NPIKE

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.