Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle and I launched at 6:30 and went straight to the NE bay... Hoped the clearer water would make for a good morning of bass fishing... Negative... We started near the pads and worked our way into deeper water when it got interesting... We had 6 muskie follows between 8 and 9 in the morning sitting in 8 feet of water...

My uncle had 5 (mostly mid twenties fish, some likely repeat offenders) follow a chatterbait up to the boat... He's not the expert yet at the figure eight... After I saw a couple of his follows, I tied on a big bucktail and what do you know, a low 30's fish follows mine up, follows the figure eight right, then left, then HE GONE! Then a few casts later, backlash and $14 bucktail... IT GONE TOO! Threw a super rattle trap for a while but to no avail...

Moved around after 10 and picked up a giant muskie behind Pokanoka's again (see photo) and a decent smallmouth by the dam on a crankbait... Later got a small walleye in the NMZ on a crankbait... Uncle picked up a couple small bass, baby striper and some perch on a crawler... Another tough day at the Shabb as we really had to work for 'em... - BPM

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nice smallie good to here about all the musky follows.. I was amazed at the water clearity on Thurs and Friday I think it has effected the normal Shabbona patterns and will change some traditional spots over the last few years. On a good note I think alot more Muskies will be caught this year as last time I've seen the water clarity like this the set a record for most reported Musky caught at shab in a year.

Thanks for the report we had a tough go of finding any active bass over 14" my last 2 times out.

NPIKE

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Thanks for the Shab report...nice to see outings if not from other people's eyes. Looks like you caught the muskies' interest. Those smallies got to be dominant at this point given the stocking that they did years ago.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.