Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've seen lots of deer by home and at work, but out of ~15 only 1 had antlers.
So I headed out at lunchtime today looking for sheds.

Anytime from now to March should be good.
Ticks get crazy when it warms up so start now.

Found lots of tracks and 2 good spots to try again.
Found zip today.

With the snow it was amazing to see their paths in the woods.
Sometimes they'll go way around the smallest stick, and other times right through the worst sticker bush. By the trees it looked like their feet were inches from the trunk.

I'll keep trying, better than watching TV!..

:D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried again before the superbowl.

Nada..

They should be dropping between now and the next few weeks..
Should be 50's this weekend, might try again.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I will be out in a month searching ;) It was a late Rut this year with the cold cold weather streaks. in 3-4 weeks you should be good to find a 1. My buddy spotted a nice buck with a 17 inch spread from ear to end with a Down G-2. I can't wait to get out and search! :D

My buddy estimated the buck at about 15-16 points, it was about 120 yeards away and got a close look at him with his Binocs he keeps in his window sill on his property. Most deer will be right along the tree/field lines for a little tip ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
yeah me and my dad have our little secret spot to look at bucks and so far were im at maybe only 1 or 2 bucks dropped out of the whole bachelor group and i cant wate to go shed hunting because its something my father enjoys and i figure it will be fun i dont know if anyone has ever seen my dad but hes been in the outdoor notebook for shed hunting and hes also working on traning my dog to sniff them out should be intresting he got some realy big sheds last year if youd guys like i can post pics after maybe march or so

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
DPR, that would be awesome! I would love to see some pictures. Does he shed hunt public hunting grounds or just forest preserves and such? I will be shed hunting way down south for a day in roughly a month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.