Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody had luck with catfish off the shore at this place if so what bait was used....im going catfish here soon and would like to know what to use????

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
oh there is fish!!! :wink:

I wish I had a scanner. I have some photo's in an album of some nice cats we have pulled out of there. All were from boat, but close to shore, 3-5 FOW in the inlet by the boat ramp. :wink: Caught most on crankbaits fishing for smallies.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't fish for cats, but the info I have seen is to use chicken livers. Get them at the store a few days before you go fishing and leave them in the garage till they get nice and rank. Cats love the stink cause they feed on what ever is floating around and use their sense of smell to find it. They are bottom feeders and very fatty, which means that they hold a lot of toxins. Would not recommend eating them.
L2F

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i was using chicken livers....but does it really help to let them sit out that long.....wont it make it even moore soggy and moore likely to come off the hook

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Cats are a tougher bite there now. Better odds are at Lasalle, Braidwood, or Shabbona if you want cats. Chicken liver will catch you plenty of fish at all 3. Locations at Lasalle and Braidwood don't matter too much as the cats are everywhere. If you fish Shabbona, try about half way down the damn face. Plenty of cats over there w/o much pressure either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is definitely still cats in this lake. I was there yesterday for an hour and i pulled 2 very nice cats between 5-7 lbs out of the lake fishing off of the shore. I was fishing off the bottom using dip worms and sonny's dip bait. I only cast out about 40-50 feet in front of me and i had plenty of bites. Make sure u have a net though because i lost a few w/o it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know I'm a bit late with this but the big H is my absolute favorite lake. I usually don't fish for cat's there but I do catch quite a few. Get out on a boat and throw a night crawler on a slip about 5-6 ft down along the rip rap shoreline and work you're way around the lake. You will catch cats, eyes, yellows, whites, Bigmouth, and smallies. If you're lucky, you might get into one of the GIANT stripers there. Although the shad hatch already hit late this year the bite should pick up until the lake is closed for the season. Personally I go there for the stripes and eyes, but there are plenty of big kitties out there to be had.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't know if any body cares, but a hillbilly once told me to get em nice and rank and put a piece in a piece of panty hose or nylons. It's impossible to get hooks outta that stuff. I've caught lots of cats with chicken livers, but also lots of snapping turtles so I've quit using them. Just make a little square and hook all 4 corners, then hook the middle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't catch as many cats there this year.Used to get so many fishing for other things they could be a pain.Saw alot of big dead catfish washed up on shore there in the spring the last 2 years especially last year.Don't know the reason.There still there just not as many.The sheephead is the new champ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.