Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, want to do some exploring on the DPR this spring, never fished it before. I am more of a bass guy but would like to take a shot at a snake on this river.

My question is do you folks use a leader? If so what type? I know the question may sound dumb but curious on your takes.

Lastly, would I be better of with spinnerbaits or shiners under a minnow?

Thanks in advance for the advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
svslider said:
I got some braided leader at lees bait that you just hit it with a lighter and melt it together instead of a knot, I like It but its super expensive.
What is that leader made out of?! What's it test weight?!

I personally use thinner titanium leaders if I know the chances of you catching a huge fish by accident are very slim. At the same time tho it really sucks if that big fish does come around and gets away because of your leader.
If you're using spinner baits that have a loop you can use them with a leader. A lot of spinner baits aren't meant for anything but to tie it straight on to the line.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I use either...... 12 lb mono with 8" steel leader
or 50 lb Powerpro no leader.

A lot of spinner baits aren't meant for anything but to tie it straight on to the line.
I don't agree with this. Pretty much any spinnerbait can be modified to work with any setup. Loop or no-loop. You can make them do anything with two pliers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
I use either...... 12 lb mono with 8" steel leader
or 50 lb Powerpro no leader.

A lot of spinner baits aren't meant for anything but to tie it straight on to the line.
I don't agree with this. Pretty much any spinnerbait can be modified to work with any setup. Loop or no-loop. You can make them do anything with two pliers.
Don't get me wrong they all can be modified but they're just not meant to be originally hehe
Another good thing to use is rubber bands tied to them. It doesn't damage the lure and works pretty good

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The stuff at lees is a stainless braid with nylon coating, the nylon melts it into a knot. And they had different sizes I got 30 lb. Lee has an employee and that guy showed it to me, He got a free 1000 yard spool from the manufacturer so I should have asked for a free sample or something teh stuff costs a dollar a foot :shock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.