Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the overcast cool temps this morning I couldn't resist hitting the river. D dubs post out of STC gave me the extra push. Since Darth recommended the peanut to me (and everyone) last year it has become a staple of my river gear.

One of the last holes I hit was a spot I visit every time I'm in STC. I watched a another angler float minners through the hole but figured what the heck. On my third cast my rod doubled over and slowly started pulling drag. There was no question in my mind what was pulling back. I gave that fish everything that medium power rod had and it didn't budge. After she had her way with me for five minutes or so she just gave up. Upon first seeing her I thought where the hell is my peanut? Second thought was how in the hell am I going to get her up this five foot wall.

I looked down and found part of the puzzle. Someone left a glove for just such an occasion.

After a quick check of the depth with my other rod, 2.5', and doing the math of climbing back out it was do-able. Time to get r done, emptied what I thought was everything for my pockets, lose the shoes and socks and climb down next to the drain pipe. Grab her toss the rod back up and climb up fish in hand. Now where the heck is that peanut????

OH There it is! After a surgery that went far better than expected.

She was back in the water in under 2 minutes.

Kind of a crappy photo she looked and felt much heavier in person. Kind of had my hands full though.
Before she threw a wrench in the mix I was busy catching these girls.

The bite really slowed down with only smaller fish wanting to play so headed to work. Great way to start the day!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Flathead and Smallies Nathan! It looks like the Peanuts are tearing it up on the river, That is just too cool! :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Great job Nathan. Nice looking smallies.

I had a similar situation with a flathead on Kentucky Lake about a week ago. Caught one a little smaller than yours on shakey worm. With spinning gear it was a pretty good battle. I'm actually heading to the Kank in a few minutes. Your post has pumped me up even more. Good fishing.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, that flathead didn't spill one drop of blood she was a lucky girl being in such skilled hands. :lol: The bite was consistent yesterday morning to say the least. I hit Geneva for a long lunch and picked up A LOT of dinks. Headed back to STC after work to find 6-8 shore anglers and 3-4 tight-liners, only picked up 2 more quality fish and called it. I had someone follow to each spot and fish 15-30' away WTF really.

This morning the bite really picked up around 6:45-7 and I had to leave them biting a 7:30. No monsters so I didn't bother taking any pics.

·
Registered
414 Posts
nice fish man, since perch season is on hold this month I need to get out to the Fox what areas do you recomend. I have fished the Barrington area and it produced decent. When you tralk about penuts what do you mean?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eric,

Read Darths post "Nut Sack" he has photos and more details. which is why I didn't post to many details. He also talks about the high water pattern we're in. If the water continues to drop the fish won't be stacked up on the walls like they are now. I haven't fished any sections aside from Batavia, Geneva and STC this year but any section that has high fast water should be good. All of my fish came 6" to 3' off the walls. Cobble, chunk rock and rip rap out produce flat concrete every time. Early AM around 5:30 I've found a spinner bait or a crank with a wide wobble has been producing better for me. Around 7am a tighter faster wobble really turns on, this past week anyway.

Not this weekend but hopefully next weekend or even a week day next week I want to go explore some other sections. Was thinking Yorkville south but would be open to any where. I would really like to paddle so if anyone is up for that I'm open to any section.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LMAO, I should have titled it flathead swallowed my nut. So many fun titles thanks Daiwa. I lost both my nuts in the river between yesterday and today. :cry: good thing a wise man told me i should buy them by the dozen. :wink:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Nice, Dude!!

I was out for a while this morning and the river has come down alot. As long as we don't get any deluges in the meantime, we should have good conditions for paddling. The stretch I was fishing the fish have moved around a bit, but still managed a half dozen smallies on soft plastics.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah once the water comes back down you know I love the swim jig and crawbug combo. I need to restock on some quality twisters, lost my river bag a few weeks back... :x :cry: That was a big loss.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Hoffman said:
Yeah once the water comes back down you know I love the swim jig and crawbug combo. I need to restock on some quality twisters, lost my river bag a few weeks back... :x :cry: That was a big loss.
Man the hook was crazy deep in there, was it hard to get out? Good thing you had the glove.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Afalconsvick said:
Hoffman said:
Man the hook was crazy deep in there, was it hard to get out? Good thing you had the glove.
There are so many nut related jokes regarding this catch it is hard to contain myself 8)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Probably the only thing that saved that fish was the hooks I swapped out were a little too big and would occasionally hook together, as you can see in the photo. My small hemostats would not reach down that far so I had to go in through her gills. This did not make her too happy she shook and it came loose from from her gills but then she tried swallowing it. I looked in to see it disappearing down her throat. I quickly pulled on the line and amazingly it popped right out. One very lucky flathead, much easier then it looks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.