Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about getting a canoe. I've been watching listings on craigslist for 14, 15, 16, and 17 footers. I want something I can tie to the top of my car myself and carry down to the water myself as well. What would you guys recommend in the $300-350 range? For the body of water known as the Skokie Lagoons?

One problem I would have would be no garage to store it in once it gets cold. So do any of you guys leave those fiber glass canoes outdoors year round?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
John boats (a flat bottom style boat) work well as a car toppers. I have a 10'er that I put on top of my honda civic. I just throw a detachable seat and a trollingmotor in the trunk and I'm in business.

If you look hard enough you could probably find a used one for under $200.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Islandfisher said:
John boats (a flat bottom style boat) work well as a car toppers. I have a 10'er that I put on top of my honda civic. I just throw a detachable seat and a trollingmotor in the trunk and I'm in business.

If you look hard enough you could probably find a used one for under $200.
hmmmm.... I've already got an old trolling motor. You can leave that john boat outside year round right?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I agree with Islandfisher. I have a fiberglass canoe that has been sitting in my garage for over a year, because its heavy and also too tippy to fish from. A jon boat is probably lighter and a whole heck of a lot more stable to fish from. That plus the fact that they are pretty indestructible. You could definitely leave it outside year-round, as long as you have it turned upside down.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
BassPro has a sale right now on John Boats. A 10 footer would be perfect for one person to haul around. ($450.00)

As for winter storage, ask a friend or relative to prop it up in the side of a garage.

If you DO get a canoe... an aluminum one that is covered will get through the winters very well outdoors.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a 17' alum. canoe, haven't had it out once. Pain in the ass if you're by yourself. Also very unstable as fishing platform, like Doc said. If it wasn't a family heirloom I would have sold it and bought a jon boat a long time ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.