Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you familiar with Skokie Lagoons will agree that the area is scattered with trash. Please read below as they are holding a clean-up day at the Lagoons. I would join, but I'm out of town this weekend. Just thought I'd share...

You are invited to participate in the 15th Annual Chicago River Day.

Join Commissioner Suffredin and Friends of the Chicago River in cleaning up one of our region's beautiful natural resources at the 15th Annual Chicago River Day workday. The event will occur this Saturday, May 12, from 9:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Skokie Lagoons, in Winnetka.

After the workday, Friends of the Chicago River will be hosting the Chicago River Festival at River Park, 5100 N Francisco, in Chicago, from 12 p.m. to 3 pm, featuring a free BBQ lunch, live entertainment and an environmental fair.

For more information, or to sign up for the workday, visit the Chicago River Day website - www.chicagoriver.org - or contact Jerry Garden, Skokie Lagoons Master Steward, at 773-545-4632.

To get to the workday, travel north on the Edens Expressway and exit at Willow Road. Turn right (east) onto Willow Road. Travel approximately ½ mile and cross over the bridge. After crossing bridge, immediately turn left onto Forestway Drive. Travel north on Forestway to the stop sign. Turn left (west) on Tower Road and pull into the parking on the south side of the road.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
That is a great idea, but many of us will be, what else fishing this Saturday. The Deep Lake tourney is this Saturday. Maybe a bunch of us could get together another Saturday and spend a few hours cleaning up and then having a cookout later. Just a thought.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Doc,

Great idea! I could prolly get some of the youth in our church to help out. As I mentioned in the Busse forum, the WWD is a disaster. But any of these bodies of water is a worthy candidate for a clean up and a meal. Saturdays work best for me.

Kevin
A.K.A. Big Flipper

·
Registered
72 Posts
my kids and I were able to make it and as promised here are some pictures.

We were also asked to pull out some non-native plants callled "garlic mustard". These is how they look like

Please pull them out if you see them around your fishing spot.

Here are my kids pics. pulling them out.

My long hair 13yr old son G.J.

My daughter Niya

and my youngest son Georel.

They said that they do this clean up drive on different areas every month. They will let me know about the next one and i'll pass on the info. to you guys.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Thats great!! Please keep us iformed. I will do my bestest to be at the next one. I still want to do a Busse clean up with the WCF guys.

Keep up the great work, way to get the kids in on it too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
big al, i still don't understand why they agreed to help on the clean up drive but regarding their rooms........ I can't find the floor to walk on, one wrong step and them naruto action figures and toy ninja stars will stab your foot in 3 different spots...

·
Registered
72 Posts
big al, i still don't understand why they agreed to help on the clean up drive but regarding their rooms........ I can't find the floor to walk on, one wrong step and them naruto action figures and toy ninja stars will stab your foot in 3 different spots...

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spawn, that's great that you got out there with your kids to clean up. You are a true angler.

I just can't figure out why people would trash the Lagoons, or any other park for that matter.

Again, thanks for pitching in, Spawn!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.