Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Officially got hooked on fly fishing after a great lesson from JWcustomflies (Jim). Had a fly reel as a gift many years ago, so I decided to try it. Went and got a 9' 6wt rod made by Echo. Bought a handful of flies as a starter.

Met up with Jim after work just south of Tower Road - around 6PM. I focus was to get my casting down and work on my technique. Got several gills to bite a small popper. Tried out the woolly bugger per Jim's suggestion. After a few tries, I got my first bass on a fly. It was a small guy, but sure put up a decent fight on a fly rod.

I am amazed how well flies work. Well, hopefully I'll have more reports this summer.

By the way, the mosquitoes were out in large numbers. Even with spray on, I was getting bit through my socks and my t-shirt. I wouldn't be surprised if I came down with West Nile virus. I think I counted at least 18 bites. Kill me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice pic ! :) That was a welcome surprise for sure, damn Buggers just simply work anywhere when nothing else seems to. Glad to have helped you into probably the most addicting hobby ever !

Definately a fun evening man! I think i list about 2 pints of blood out there, which was promptly replaced with 2 pints of Budweiser :)

Now that you have your casting mechanics down, and some good gear - time to rack em up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.