Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to goons on Sunday - March 15. Fished from 11 to 12 PM. Lost two LMB due to dull hooks on the Rattletrap :x The lure was NEW ........I guess next time I should take a minute to check and sharpen the hooks. Both fish "took" the lure in 5-6 feet of water approximately 15 to 20 ft from shore. Great day to be out.

I also found hundreds of dead fish on the shore or floating belly-up especially on the east side of lagoon 3. Most of them were carp and catfish, but also some LMB -many in the 12-to-18-inch range, Northern Pike and Walleye. Does anybody has seen this? Why that happened! It is due to the cold winter and lack of oxygen?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
It was due to the ice and snow cover. When light can't penetrate the ice due to snow cover on top of it, the weeds die and subsequently there is not enough oxygen for the fish. I understand that it was a really bad year up in Wisconsin. I was talking to a friend that lives just north of the border and he said that a lot of lakes up there had significant kills due to this.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I didn't think this winter was any worse than other winters we have had. Surprising to hear about so many more fish kills happening. :?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
This winter wasn't much worse than last year, but it was definitely one of the worst that we have had in recent years. Bring on the open water!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am pretty sure we had alot more snow cover this winter, which cuts off the sun through the ice to promote weed growth. Alot of dead shad at the lagoons. They have a hard time coping with extreme temperature swings. With all the dead carp appearing there must have been a real loss of oxygen. Carp are usually the last to die because they can tolerate lower oxygen levels.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
toothdoc said:
It was due to the ice and snow cover. When light can't penetrate the ice due to snow cover on top of it, the weeds die and subsequently there is not enough oxygen for the fish. I understand that it was a really bad year up in Wisconsin. I was talking to a friend that lives just north of the border and he said that a lot of lakes up there had significant kills due to this.
I thought the Goons had current? Must not be too deep!

·
Registered
369 Posts
dumbasses like that make me sick. if you see poaching or anyother bad activity call8479312405. thats for cook dekalb dupage kane lake and mchenry counties. if you see a dnr cop just ask for the card. I hate to bea snitch but fishing is the one area where i draw the line because assholes like that hurt our chances of having fun.
kuc2215 said:
It is likely because of the cold weather or maybe some jerks were catching killing and releasing..

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't think it were individuals that caused the fish kill it was nature. Nothing we can do about that. I too noticed a lot of dead shad and bluegill at the goons. A lot of lakes were hit hard this year due to the weather we had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.