Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the channel this morning behind Starbucks on Lincoln Ave and got skunked. A few feet out there's a thick line of weeds blocking off the deeper water, and when casting over it, I kept pulling out bunches of grass. Mostly I was casting downstream, dropping between the weeds and the shore and slowly jerking back in. I got a few strikes but no takers. Any tips on how to deal with the weeds?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You could Texas rig senkos with the hook imbedded, or use weedless jigs. Spinnerbaits are also good for shaking off weeds real easy.
Either way, you will still be getting fouled up with the weeds sometimes, the trick is to get some good work out of the lure before bringing it back into the weeds. Chances are theres something relating to that weedlines outside edge.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If its not too deep, Maybe grab a pair or chest waders and give it a roll 8)

Or possibly a Fluke rigged weedless or if you hit it before night if your fishing for bass, some top-waters. Or a bait Caster n a Jig n Pig, just flip it past the weed line n once you hit the weeds, as long as you have heavy braided line, you should be able to rip it right through the weeds mattering on what kind of weeds or cabbage it is... :?

Remember, Heavy Line in weeds so you can rip them Fish through them or over them...

Dave

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
i've fished that exact spot a few times. for bass i'd say the weedless stuff obvisouly and as mentioned above, imbed your hook just inside plastic worms. I've caught some fish off the bottom which was really fun but never went for bass there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys! I'm hitting the same same spot this weekend. Being the native Texan that I am, I'll be shootin' out the ole' Texas rigged senkos, (while keeping a few weedless jigs nearby). I'm also switching spools from 4lb. to 6lb test. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share with you come Monday morning...

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
The switch to 6lb test sounds good. Now Remember two Cold Fronts came through this week with a big one coming tonight. so Fishing will Be TOUGH But the light line will help. The Spot Near the Starbucks Is more of a CARPN zone, But when i say carpin zone i don't mean you won't catch a bass in the area, It'll just take longer. The Primary food Source in the Chicago River is The "Gizzard shad" So All The Golden shiners etc. Will stay schooled up with them. And the Best place to find shad in a river system is a Discharge or something to change the current Up. So that leaves The Skokie discharge, howard, or foster spillway. Although More crowded areas Those are the Areas That will consistently pull in schools of fish. if you do alittle hiking theres some gem small discharge spots

:D

good Luck

George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.