Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the pond already holds roughly 30 to 40 channel cats averaging around 2 ft. each, God knows how many Largies from dinks to 15", and a few gills, the ice gets roughly 1.5 ft thick. Was just curious as I would like to establish a Smallie population but wouldn't want to waste healthy fish

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
In my opinion, stick to the LMB. That is far from an ideal place for smallies. They like deep water for much of the year because it is cooler. Catfish can live just about anywhere.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Well, what's the water quality like, how big is the pond, and what is the bottom substrate?

If water is clean and if bottom is very hard and rocky, and if any brown bass populations take hold in this pond, then they could reproduce.

If it's just 5ft deep and if you say it gets that much ice, I would expect to have a few winterkills.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water is crystal clean. This is a 1 acre sized pond that was dug at my parents cabin in the UP about 8 or 9 years back with a natural spring feeding it water. My dad's original plans were to get it about 15' deep but within 6 ft. there was limestone. Few miles down from there, someone was getting a water well done and they had some company drill 33 ft. of limestone and still didn't get through. The limestone pretty much broke my dad's dream but we're trying to make the best of it. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.