Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what some of your guys' opinion is of snagging. It was the first way I learned to fish when I was a kid and we did it during snagging season and followed the rules as to where we snagged. I almost had to knock some guy out on the train because he called me a scumbag for talking to my cousin about the season starting on Sunday.(Toothdoc you almost had a new customer) He was being nosey and listening in on someone elses conversation in the first place :x My personal opinion is it is doing a service (as long as it's done right, not just arbitrarily swinging the hook at a school of fish) because there would be a whole hell of a lot of dead fish floating around the harbors. Is his opinion common among most fishermen?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
My opinion is that I don't like it. It is not a true sport like fishing is. More like shooting fish in a barrel. That is my opinion though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm cool with difference of opinion as long as its civilized. I would like to try blowfishing or spearing some time, which is what I liken snagging to. Unless you snag by blindly running your hook along the wall, it's not as easy as people think when you actually target a specific fish because you have to judge depth and make sure the fish doesn't see the hook. It's funny that people get upset at everyone equally, because guys that snag the right way get pissed at the guys bringing up bass, crappie and other harbor fish and wounding other ones . It definately takes more skill than smelt fishing. The hardest part of that is keeping your hand warm after cracking all those ice cold beers. LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts