Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Over the last month and a half I have started spending most of my fishing time at the harbors around Chicago.....chasing the salmons and trouts.

Well I am done with that! , I mean it has to be awesome to hook into one of tho Kings...but they ain't eating!!!!!!!!!!!! and its been about 2 weeks from the last time I saw anyone legal hook one in the mouth.

All the hours spent, and my God all the casts made...this is all I have to show for it.

^^^^^Hit a firetiger rattle trap.^^^^^

From all the salmon skunks....To keep myself sane...I had to start mixing up the outings....3 trips out to try for salmon...2 out for bass. (based on my 5 trips a week average)

:D

Now in Oct. I have not been lighting up the Bass as well :cry: Im still waiting for them to really turn on for the fall and get aggressive. with the weather the last 12 days going up and down...its taking a wee bit longer than I would like. I have had to work to stay on fish!.....

and in that work I have found myself trying some new ideas.....

hehe have you guys ever seen the Doug Hannon fishing snake. They have the commericals on at like 3 am.

Well as a general rule I stay away from the as seen on TV crap....but I just had to get some of these...I went the cheap way and found on Ebay.... I think he been trying to sell these thing for years... well they worked!

Little fish to big fish!

14 inch Brown Rat snake, 5/0 widegap hook. 50lb power pro. 6'6 med heavy rod.

I got these two on back to back cast! and let me tell you, it made my whole season!

Fish one. (2 pics of fish one "fishpimped"....she was worth more than one pic)

and fish 2 next cast!!!!!

The snake is a topwater I thought there was not a high chance of sticking alot fish on...but it worked for me, it can work for you too!

This fall I have been sticking a lot of these little guys...this one came for Bass Lake out in DuPage County on a crawfish colored Rat-L-Trap...and Oouchh!!! He put that trap right in my hand before I let him go!....I told my fishing partner, ( girlfriend Jessica) that it stung....she called me a baby!!!!
Not a smart thing to call me when I'm covered in pike slime...hahaha she got slimed!!!!

She was pissed I slimed her and went of on her own for a while....she came back smiling with this! :D

^^^^^^^Wacky rigged senko^^^^Fishcandy colored^^^^^^^

Now I said I am done chasing the Silly Salmon... But....

I now am back to bass fishing the Harbors, and if my calculations (last years info) are correct the bass should be getting very active and aggressive over the next few weeks as the water cools.

well last night was my first night back at the bass...

fished from 7-11 pm...

Started off throwing a Yum money minnow 1/4 oz. tenn. shad colored, over some still very green, very large weed beds. ( the harbors are still alot warmer then the inland lakes I have been fishing also)...Nothing on the money minnow. :(

switched up to a strike king coffee tube, goby green colored. texas rigged...worked in between the weedbeds letting the slow fall and jerks do their thing.....Nothing!

At this point I have usually at least seen a bass...Nothing!

I again switch...to a small jig and pig...blue and black...with hint of purple....I start dragging it on the edges of the weed beds...about 5 flips into this process.... I see the weeds part, and I see a flash dart out and slam my jig on the fall....fish on!

we have a short talk, he explains why there were no bass in the weed beds.
:D

I let him go, and start to fish my way back towards home.

Just Keeping ya up to speed with the HHF!

Thanks for reading!

as always keep it real, keep it safe!

JayPee the HHF!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
A fine report on your recent outings! Good to see you are back into the bass and pike. That snake is pretty huge. I was wondering what it was when I saw it on that other post. You say its a topwater...does it have some sort of floating jighead, or is the plastic itself bouyant?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!
TGE- it has a small air pocket in its head...but the actually plastic floats as well... if you have ever used strike kings 3X brand of plastics...it is very similar...it can strech when pulled up to 4.5 feet....haha i actually streched one and measured.

JayPee the hhf!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice work dude!!! Looks like your having a blast fishing at night. One of those lakes looks familiar "Bass Lake" 8) . Awesome post, keep them coming!

Dave

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Very nice Jaypee...and detailed. I'm impressed by your skills in catching fish at night especially this time of year. I throw in the towel when the sun is gone. I also understand where you are coming from regarding the salmon/trout adventures. I've gone out there in years past and threw everything out there with little or nothing to show for it.

Thanks for the motivation!

Btw I seem to fair better during the spring feedbag then the fall feedbag...I don't know why.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Awesome post JP. I've been looking forward to this post after seeing all of the "teaser" pics through out the other posts.

Great work bro! We should go fishing sometime. :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Nice!! I've seen those commercials and thought about ebaying me some. I know some of the lakes I fish have snakes, I've seen them swimming while I was in my kayak. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
501 Posts
dude thats awesome man i heard about those snakes a while back kind of expensive so i stopped thinking about it now i have to get me some.......i have been out for same a good 8-9 times with only one king caught and my bro caught a 4# coho last friday i real need to get some open water bass before its to late congrats on the pike and the hawgs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.