Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this will be my second year fishing and i am looking to continue learning proper rigging and the proper use of my different lures. one thing that has always been in the back of my head has been if I should be tying the lures directly to my line instead of using a snap swivel. I know that because im a begginer my father-in-law taught me how to use the snap swivels for convenience since i hadn't learned the proper way to tie a knot. now that i have gotten very comfortable with the improved clinch know I am thinking about just tying the lures straight to my line. my only problem is weening myself off of the convenience of being able to switch out lure quickly. do any of you guys have any advice on this? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,232 Posts
This is another topic were opinions vary. I like them for quickly changing all types of crankbaits. I don't use them religiously, but anytime I know I want to frequently change colors or baits I will use one. Anything else and I will tie direct. Being subtle counts, so I will go with the smallest style I can get away with for the application. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is not to skimp on the swivels. The cheap ones will pull out or just plain fall apart with big fish. I have lost fish in the past to this, and my boat partners have as well. Berkley has high quality swivels that you will not have problems with. They are pricey but they won't cost you fish like the knock-offs do.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I tie everything direct when im fishing for any gamefish. Im kinda anal about keeping my presentation as low key and realistic as possible. I only use snap swivels for salmon while changing spoons, and for musky since Ill be leader fishin anyway.

Over the years after you will tie five million knots, you will be able to tie up in two seconds. Also dont forget to re-tie and discard the last few feet of your line every time you may have kinked, or nicked your line up.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
BassMasterErik said:
Also dont forget to re-tie and discard the last few feet of your line every time you may have kinked, or nicked your line up.
As well as after you land a hawg or 2. I usually re-tie really fast after catching a fish or 2.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Only other real reason for swivels is to cut down on line twist.
I use PowerPro, so that's not an issue. And even the rare times I use mono, I don't care about line twist and tie directly on.

I don't use hard baits much, but when I do I like to use the Duolock Snaps. Gives Rapalas and other lures like that a little more action.

Problem with snap swivels is they also increase weight a little and I fish pretty light.

Here's a link to the snaps in case you're not sure what they are. You can usually buy them pretty much everywhere.

Duolock Snaps

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
When I first started using lures exclusively I would use snaps/swivels often. But after a while I found that I got a more natural presentation by tying directly to the line. The biggest key for me is to KEEP an nail clipper very accessible. This way I can cut the line quickly and tie on a new lure.

Now that you have the improved clinch know down, you'll be able to change out those lures very quickly, and you might like the action better.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Baits that vibrate a lot or dart around
is the only
Time I use them

I.e crank baits , rat-l traps,chatter baits
Even jerk baits

·
Super Moderator
6,232 Posts
Yes, very good information. Some of you brought up a point that I forgot to mention. Speed and movement of the bait is often a determining factor of when to use a snap. If you are burning a crank or working a fast moving jerkbait or slashbait, you really don't need to worry about the fish seeing the hardware. Same thing for dirtier water situations.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Another Power Pro user that uses snaps (NO swivel).

IME the right size snap can actually allow certain hardbaits to run better than tying direct to the lure or the split ring.

I've found some lures tend to roll when you add the swivel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.