Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'll visit this fishing group more often.

Snap? I'm using crankbaits more often and never thought about this too much. I was using a swivel when all I needed was a good snap. I'll pick up some Duolock Snaps.

Swivel? If I use any of my Mepps lures, I'll need to have a swivel on.

Knot? As for me, I don't use the improved clinch anymore. I used it a long time but my "ties" on it were inconsistent. Some good, some bad. Tried tying the Palomar only to be frustrated a bit with it. Then I found the Crawford Figure Eight knot in the book Lunker's Love Nightcrawlers.

http://www.stripersurf.com/knot_terminal.html

The editors of Fishing Facts wrote "Lunkers" and tested the improved clinch versus the Crawford figure eight knot using a Zebco DeLiar (knot tester?). In ten tests of knot strength using Trilene XL 12 pound monofilament, this is what happened (p. 80).

Trilene XL 12 pound monofilament actually has a break point of 14.5 pounds.

10 improved clinch knots broke at weights ranging from 6 to 10 pounds even though the line's break point was 14.5 pounds. Even for the fishing experts who wrote the book (one of them was Spence Petros), they couldn't even tie a consistent improved clinch knot.

10 Crawford figure eight knots broke consistently at 14 pounds. Remember, the line had a break point of 14.5 pounds.

So what knot would you rather use with 12 pound Trilene test line? A knot that breaks anywhere from 6-10 pounds or a knot that breaks at 14 pounds? The answer was clear to me.

Anyway, for me, the Crawford figure eight knot at http://www.stripersurf.com/knot_terminal.html is just easier to tie. Like all knots, you lick it a bit or dip it in water before tying it down.

Slow day. So what else do we do when it's a weekend and we can't fish? We talk a little snaps, swivels, and fishing knots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.