Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... What is it that makes Bass so popular as a sport fish? I mean the BASS Tournies look like a NASCAR Spectacular! Outside their being perhaps the most abundant top predator in most lakes out here, what makes them so .... Superstar ?

Just curious.

·
Registered
825 Posts
jwcustomflies said:
... What is it that makes Bass so popular as a sport fish? I mean the BASS Tournies look like a NASCAR Spectacular! Outside their being perhaps the most abundant top predator in most lakes out here, what makes them so .... Superstar ?

Just curious.
I think bass fishing has mass appeal for several reasons. 1) They're everywhere all across the country and accessible to virtually all- Lakes, rivers, and ponds. 2) They are relatively easy to catch unlike several other gamefish. 3) They get to a good size and fight hard. 4) Artificial baits have helped grow the sport. How many tackle junkies are there? Guys love buying their plastics and crankbaits and then going out and catching fish. 5) They are a perfect species for tournaments. 6) Guys love bass boats.

Overall, I think it is the total of all the things I mentioned above. You can look at any other species and none match up as well as bass with all the different categories. Good topic.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Agreed with paul.

Look at musky fishing, its way more expensive and difficult, and even in the best waters it will still give you the skunk frequently. Also too there is very limited waters you can even target em, and you need a boat and expensive gear to have a good chance at a bigun.

As for walleye fishing, they are in fewer locations as well, and you typically need a boat to have a decent chance at em. They dont fight as well either and are less willing to bite in most situations.

You can catch bass in almost any lake or pond and on almost anything, you dont need much tackle to do so successfullly, and you can fish em from shore. All of these factors make bass the most accessible gamefish in America. Did I mention they are awesome fighters for their and explode on baits frequently making them fun to catch! :p

Now that I think of it, I cant even think of a single body of water that does not have bass in it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric, Paul - great responses! Thats what i had figured, they are the most abundant, easy, big fish. And since the better part of the country does not have much more than small ponds and lakes i can see where they are the best game in town.
Good points Eric, never thought to look into the actual species-specific costs of fishing.

Intelligent replies, thats folks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Paul S said:
jwcustomflies said:

Just curious.
I think bass fishing has mass appeal for several reasons. 1) They're everywhere all across the country and accessible to virtually all- Lakes, rivers, and ponds. 2) They are relatively easy to catch unlike several other gamefish. 3) They get to a good size and fight hard. 4) Artificial baits have helped grow the sport. How many tackle junkies are there? Guys love buying their plastics and crankbaits and then going out and catching fish. 5) They are a perfect species for tournaments. 6) Guys love bass boats.

Overall, I think it is the total of all the things I mentioned above. You can look at any other species and none match up as well as bass with all the different categories. Good topic.
I agree with Paul :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.