Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
"Technically", the Cook County Forest Preserve lakes open at sunrise. Now for the trout openers, many anglers arrive way before sunrise. :wink:

As the owner of this site I can't say when to show up for the opener - but I will say this... it will be 19 DEGREES early morning Saturday! The fish last about a week before they are all fished out.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I think on the website it says that it officially opens at 5 am. So basically plan on getting there while it is still dark. Have all of your stuff ready ahead of time so that you are ready to fish once you arrive. We have found that at Axehead the Berkley trout bait works the best.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I use the Berkley stuff, but I have done very well in the past with nightcrawlers, when the Berkley stuff wasn't working. As with all baits for these trout, use a tiny hook with a small split shot, all under a small bobber/float about 2-3 ft. down. I'd bring both and experiment. Oh, if you do use nightcrawlers, only like a 1-2'' piece is necessary (don't use the whole worm).

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Have fun guys. Fishing for trout I ain't even gonna eat during record cold temps at 5am ain't exactly my idea of fun. I may stop by later in the morning though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.