Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at a high school graduation this past June for friend of the family. This was alternative high school, not like in confused identity issues, but kids who just didn't properly graduate from their respective high schools in the county. Maybe 30 kids were graduating that evening.

Some kids were off to major state universities, some to the armed services, etc as they gave a brief bio prior to receiving their diplomas.

The first student speaker had physical health issues, gave an inspiring and traditional speech filled with understandable nervousness in her delivery. She received a minor scholarship.

The second student speaker was painful to listen to and watch, obnoxious would be one word but cringe worthy might be a better one. Her unprepared speech was rambling, filled with a few f bombs which sadly drew a few laughs. Perhaps I was turned off so much but I couldn't find anything of inspiration aside from one inferring she had a great educational experience because this school accepted her obnoxious personality. Additionally through her speech she'd yell out to friends with neon hair in the auditorium and they'd yell with something equally profane, it had the feeling of a Springer show. I couldn't find anything remotely original, witty or funny that could break a smirk on my face.

Then a scrawny kid, God bless his heart for enlisting in the Army, was carrying with the swagger of Connor McGregor with hand gestures to elicit encouragement from his peeps with his walk to the stage, receiving a diploma and for a group picture with classmates. Okay you're young, feeling the moment of the occasion but then he rushes the podium with an administrator standing to the side and grabs the microphone gangster style and starts thanking his recruiter and his mom and dad. Thankfully he didn't start cursing.

Last punk was someone in some pretentious glasses, who wouldn't shake hands with the school principal. Just grabbed his diploma and dramatically pulled his hand away as one was outstretched. Funny thing the mother had pretentious glasses as well, hard to put your finger on it but you know it when you see it?

Many years ago in politics a famous slogan was "It's the economy, stupid!" and that was a watershed moment to make coarseness go mainstream for me and others, a passing of one generation to the next and the zeitgeist they bring. Now at all levels dropping curse words is socially acceptable and lends emphasis I'm not sure for the better.

As a kid I was a potty mouth at times who had many servings of soap, and related corrective actions from my parents that likely now would show up on some shrill newscasts, yet somehow I survived. As a kid I never directed my rudeness at adults in the neighborhood, I saved that to impress knucklehead buddies. It was still the day of 'Hello Mr. Mead', 'May I', 'Please' and 'Thank you'. I became generally polite as I entered adolescence, though still cringe at times when I think about the punk I was and perhaps I still am. I'm not totally prudish, but I feel their are select, private audiences to let's one crude nature come out.

I take comfort from that evening in that I spoke to two folks in their 20s who attended the ceremony, and a teen who was in the graduation. They're all were embarrassed by the speech of the 2nd student speaker. We were equally embarrassed about the kid who wouldn't shake hands with the principal, we wonder if he'd regret that stunt in 3 or 30 years and would it foreshadow problems for him down the road.

I'm not very contemporary with things, haven't been for decades but I was taken aback by the whole series of events that lead this 2nd student speaker to be chosen to give a speech. Even the young folks I spoke with were questioning the logic to have this 2nd speaker quasi represent those graduating. My cynical side said we've arrived at a place where different and obnoxious is a greater virtue than decoum and excellence?

I guess I've become my father not able to relate to an increasing number of things, not being so sure about things to as the years pass.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Our society has been in decline for many years. When truth is relative society will break down. Children are prone to wander as we all are but there is real truth to a Bible verse that says “ train up a child when he is young and when he is old he will not depart from it.”

I worry about the future for my grandkids but am glad that I am probably on the 17th or 18th hole in life.

~JOE~

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Mike: It's sad but true that this sort of appalling behavior has become the new normal. As a cranky old man I think it stems from Facebook & other social media platforms that engender a "look at me, see how cool I am" mentality.

Driving home on a business trip a few years back I heard David Brooks (one of my favorite conservatives) being interviewed on NPR about a book he'd just written. He made the observation that up until recently if you asked the average American if they were important their answer would be, "No, I'm not important". Now when asked the same question the average American answers, "Yes, I'm very important". Makes you wonder about their definition of 'important' and ask the question, "important to whom?"

Maybe we have to accept that we live in a world where having a lot of on-line followers replaces actual accomplishment and all we can hope is somehow things change and we get away from everyone thinking they're the center of the universe. Then again, pigs might fly.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It is normal for younger generations to push and it is the task of the older generation to resist. When the resistance is weaker than the push, or if there is only affirmation then you end up with the narcissistic, “look at me,” “my own truth,” entitled generation that everybody is complaining about now.

Instead of complaining on social media (yes, wcf is social media) after the fact, maybe addressing the issues as they occur (within capacity) would do more good.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
So it's really the fault of the boomers ? Interesting...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Got group of young men ,10 to 15 yrs. old,that as long as their outside they cuss,and I mean bad and they don't care who they cuss at ,but not at me,they use the word sir,some of the things they have in common,are deadbeat parents,parents all have medical marijuana cards,no husband's, their are live in boy friends,parents don't come out during the day, none play sports,all the parents receive some sort of public aid,read out of this whatever you think,but these are the facts.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Salt's on to something. When I was still teaching - just after the Ice Age - teachers would complain about kids & want to bring their parents in for a conference. I'd point out that if the kids were nuts their parents were probably even crazier. I was almost always right. Of course, it was an inner city school- lots of poverty, drug abuse, etc.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Proverbs 22:6.
Also I remember a plaque my sister had in her home. It stated that children learn what they live.

~JOE~

·
Super Moderator
6,110 Posts
It all started with the participation trophies and just continued to degrade from there. At my kids school they do not keep score in whatever sport they are playing so there are no losers. Playing time in school sports is divided equally so everyone gets the same amount of time. Everyone is constantly told how special and unique they are.

I meet with parents all the time and occasionally I encounter ones who actually hold their kids accountable and they are usually one and done with me. The worst kids typically have the parents who ask me (and I have been asked several times) "why are you picking on my kid?" Or "don't you have anything better to do" or "my kid is a victim, what about the other kid." There is not much hope with steering a kid in the right direction when that is the treatment they receive at home.

There came a point in our privileged society when many parents became more concerned with being friends with their children then being parents. I could go on and on.....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Welcome to the everybody gets a trophy and "reality" TV generation/society we've bred. It's a shame so many are not taught more respectful behavior for their fellow human beings. I've conducted job interviews over the last few years, that have had a few people with less than proper grammar skills, no filter between their brains and mouths, inappropriate attire etc... I actually felt embarrassed for them and wished them luck on their journey when they left.

I don't see where matt.ski was singling out any generation, but imo, it would be more late Gen X or Xennials at fault... as they would be more prone to having HS kids in that age range graduating. But maybe some Boomers have a guilty conscience ? I'm just yankin your chain Rambler, don't get your jock in a twist old fella. ;)

And to OS and Ramblers comments... while I agree, to a point, there are a LOT of "privileged" kids (and adults) out there that exhibit this behavior and unfortunately, there's many on broadcast TV that the younger generation get's to learn from that that's "acceptable".

.Recently my wife had lunch with one of our friends, she told my wife that a boy had said to her daughter, "Get on your knees and suck my d*ck"... These are 11 year old kids. Apparently, this particular kid is known to the school authorities and been in trouble numerous times for similar behavior, but never really gets punished, so it continues. I'm sure it was learned behavior either at home or the internet/TV.

And so it goes.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just have to say that a recent political leader might have had something to do with making it ok to be rude and obnoxious. Granted, these things and all of the disrespect have been a part of society before his term but he had a part in making it socially acceptable, even desirable. The lowest, crudest masses looked up to the man. So, yes, society has gotten coarser, coarser than sandpaper and it rubs me the wrong way.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
No argument here Bobber.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ah yes, when in doubt blame the people you disagree with politically.
Two can play this game.
“I have to say that” our current political leaders and their party are constantly sneering on the “lowest, crudest masses” and often describe them as bitter clingers and deplorables so becoming more coarse is only natural.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I just have to say that a recent political leader might have had something to do with making it ok to be rude and obnoxious.
I remember that quite clearly. At the Obamacare signing ceremony, Biden says into a mic on live TV, "This is a big ****ing deal❗"

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
"This is a big ****ing deal❗"
And he was right! So big that even the greatest president ever (just ask him) couldn't deliver on his promise to replace it with something beautiful, better and cheaper. Kind of like his promise to have Mexico pay for the wall he never built or his promise of a stock market crash if Biden got elected. Last I checked my stocks are doing just fine.

Reactions: ganz1960
1 - 20 of 32 Posts