Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had fun and memorable fishing in 2021. Two reasons:
  • I caught the most topwater fish of my entire life. All on buzzbaits and whopper ploppers.
  • I caught a small variety of fish in several states, which made for an interesting year.
Here are a few photos of memorable fish (to me) in 2021 (roughly in chronological order). And here's to an even better 2022 for all of us! Let's see your memorable 2021 fish!
Water Vertebrate Fluid Body of water Fin

Fish Bedrock Water Tail Soil

Water Plant Botany Lake Fish

Water Fishing net Organism Fisherman Fish
Plant Gesture Trunk Terrestrial animal Terrestrial plant
Clothing Water Plant Sleeve Dry suit
Terrestrial plant Plant Terrestrial animal Scaled reptile Reptile
Fish Underwater Marine biology Water Fin
Water Vertebrate Fishing net Food Seafood
Water Sky Watercraft Beach Boat

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I had a fun year too. I don't save pictures but last January I had a memorable catfish day. Caught 11 that day all were teens to low twenty’s . Also had a good bass day on a local flow. Caught 8 that day. The best five would have weighed approximately 21-22 lbs.

I made it a point this past year to learn a different body of water. It went well. Learned a bunch.

Oh yeah I also had about 2 solid weeks where the white bass were on fire and I mostly had the place to my self.

~JOE~

·
Registered
913 Posts
Caught lots of fish this year, mostly Walleye, some decent smallmouth & quite a few big crappie.
As far as memorable fish I really focus on 2:
Water Fisherman Fish Recreational fishing Fishing

Biggest walleye I caught this year, almost 27.5".

And,
Wasnt a large musky, but this early season ski managed to snap the top 1/3 of my mbr842 GLX. You can be sure I remembered that bastard all year!:D
Fish Fin Seafood Ray-finned fish Tail
Fish Fin Seafood Ray-finned fish Tail

·
Registered
204 Posts
My most memorable fish of this past year was the musky I netted for my brother, out of the DPR. Not big, just an unusual catch for us.
Trousers Salmon-like fish Fisherman Fish Watercourse

This white bass was also one to remember, being the first fish I caught after surgery, and a rough recovery. Meant alot at the time.
Plant Smile Goggles Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Snuck this one in under the wire. Caught today. 16 lbs 33.5 inches. Nailed a bunch of white perch and a first for me some white crappie.
Sorry about the water drop on the lens.
~JOE~
Sky Vertebrate Water Gesture Fish

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I caught it on chicken thighs. Tried a new recipe. Cut up thighs, sprinkle garlic powder, strawberry jello powder and a few drops of anise oil. I’m guessing the recipe doesn’t matter I just wanted to try it.

~JOE~

·
Super Moderator
6,178 Posts
I was thinking about what to add and it really was a pretty simple year for me. The February white fish Door County outing was definetly a highlight. In March i fished the Fox River in Depere and caught some decent walleye, mostly on a new technique. The early season Lake Delavan fishing was decent but not as good as recent years. I don't think I went back after May. I made two Door County smallie trips and both were amazing. After that the only place I bothered fishing was Lake Geneva at night and I had by far my best year for walleye out there. I always like to try something different every year, but have not decided exactly what I want to yet in 22. Maybe an early season Lake Erie trip or an ice out trip up the West side of Green Bay to try some different waters.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was thinking about what to add and it really was a pretty simple year for me. The February white fish Door County outing was definetly a highlight. In March i fished the Fox River in Depere and caught some decent walleye, mostly on a new technique. The early season Lake Delavan fishing was decent but not as good as recent years. I don't think I went back after May. I made two Door County smallie trips and both were amazing. After that the only place I bothered fishing was Lake Geneva at night and I had by far my best year for walleye out there. I always like to try something different every year, but have not decided exactly what I want to yet in 22. Maybe an early season Lake Erie trip or an ice out trip up the West side of Green Bay to try some different waters.
Ever fished Lake St. Clair?

·
Registered
732 Posts
For me, hard to pin down a memorable fish from 2021. Caught a nice smallie on the lakefront earlier this year. Definitely want to continue to harbor hop again this coming spring. Probably catching arctic grayling, various cutthroats, and redbands on dry flies in Idaho and Wyoming nears the top of my list. Nothing like wading small, clear creeks in the summer out west.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Nice collection of fish posted on this thread.

I didn't fish too hard in 2021. I enjoyed seeing my gf catch her first musky and outfish me in 2021 with her nice good St. Croix rod vs my walmart rods is my excuse. Taking a couple college interns to catch their first smallies was enjoyable as well.

I got my usual collection decent smallies but a couple nice brookies (~9" - 10") while fishing 3" twister tails for smallies but a nice surprise.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Caught a nice smallie on the lakefront earlier this year.
I've never caught a smallie on the lakefront. I've tried several times over the years. Caught pike, perch, salmon, gobies, probably others there, but never a smallie.

Probably catching arctic grayling, various cutthroats, and redbands on dry flies in Idaho and Wyoming nears the top of my list. Nothing like wading small, clear creeks in the summer out west.
This reminds me of a trip I took to Canada 5 or 6 years ago. We stayed at a lodge in very northern Northwest Territories. One of the species we could target was arctic grayling. I don't know how to fly fish, so we used light spinning rods with small inline spinners while wading a rushing river near the lodge. Those grayling are amazing fish! Lots of fun. I definitely hope I can target them again someday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts