Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking with several guys about salt water fishing (Legend & Big Bass Lee) today on the ice and was telling them about how awesome salt water fishing is. I pretty much grew up fishing salt water with only the occasional fresh water bobber trips with my dad, uncle and brother back in NYC. That being said i still love salt water fishing more so than fresh bc you really have the opportunity to hook into pretty much anything.

Here is my wife with a near record Florida black fin tuna that she caught with me off Madeira beach. Also you can see our catch of numerous other tuna and amberjack to the side.

Here is a nice amberjack caught on the same trip

Smaller snook typical of our flats fishing excursions out in Florida around Sarasota area

This past May my brother in law and I took a boat out for King Mackeral

At times we had damn barracuda attack our catch just before it was gaffed and simply slice our fish in two. this one however was suckered into coming back for a second hit weighed close to 80lbs!!

Bonita (false albacor) fun to catch but not very palatable.

Some more flats fish redfish followed by some specked trout taste awesome on the grill!!

And lastly a recent trip with my dad in NY for Tautog (aka Blackfish) very tasty but ugly lookn fish

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Larry like i was telling you typically Feb-Apr are the best times to go. I am heading out there probably the first or second weekend (5days) in March. During that time the grouper, snapper, trout, redfish and snook are typically hitting really well. I will post pix when i get back from that trip. And for sure we will schedule something again next year. I usually go down there 3-5x per year to do either freshwater, saltwater or pig hunting so if you decide to go earlier than 2010 let me know.

JOHN (with an H)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Awesome fish! I have never been saltwater fishing, but barracuda are on my wish list. 8)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
rootdoc said:
Larry like i was telling you typically Feb-Apr are the best times to go. I am heading out there probably the first or second weekend (5days) in March. During that time the grouper, snapper, trout, redfish and snook are typically hitting really well. I will post pix when i get back from that trip. And for sure we will schedule something again next year. I usually go down there 3-5x per year to do either freshwater, saltwater or pig hunting so if you decide to go earlier than 2010 let me know.

JOHN (with an H)
Could you add a 6th to your group for next year :roll: :lol:. and I know you rname is spelled with w/ an H I'm just busting your chops lol...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Very nice!
Looking forward to spring break, we're heading to that area.

Have a day set aside to fish but haven't booked yet.

I do plan to keep a few grouper and have a local restaurant fix us some grouper sandwiches!

Nice pics, thanks for helping stir warm thoughts!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could you add a 6th to your group for next year :roll: :lol:. and I know you rname is spelled with w/ an H I'm just busting your chops lol...[/quote]

Sure no problem just let me know whenever you would like to go!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Awesome photos. Can you eat the Barracudas down there? In certain areas of the world, the giant cudas have been known to have ciguatera poison. Growing up, we didn't eat the giant cudas. In Los Angeles, we would catch a ton of the Pacific cudas, and they were quite good eating (if bled immediately and chilled). I can only fantasize about warm weather and fishing right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.