Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to wading and the south elgin area. have been out the past couple of weeks using minnows. I have caught a few small mouth that were small and a walleye. can anyone give me some help on what types of lures/colors, and areas to fish and how to fish them to hook into some bigger fish, also what to look for. I DO PRACTICE CPR. im out of work right now so i have some time on my hands. thanks.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Deeper holes with slack water should hold some smallies.

As for "targeting" big fish...that's a practice best left for Spring, Summer and early Fall IMHO.

But ya never know..toss some big cranks and spinnerbaits and see what you get.

Good Luck=)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I had my kayak out late last week and paddled a pretty long stretch of water. The river is super clear right now and in most areas I could actually see the bottom with my polarized glasses. One thing I noticed is anywhere I could see the bottom was absolutely devoid of baitfish..or any fish for that matter. The only exception was if there was some wood cover the area would be absolutely loaded with bait. Point is...right now I would concentrate on deeper pools and areas with some wood cover close to deeper water. That should eliminate alot of water, especially in that stretch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.